2 years in..have your MHKs delivered?

Manx Bean

No. 

One of mine has taken the pay rise and got a department, despite saying they wouldn't.  Pretended to be the peoples choice and shafted EVERY vehicle owner by backing car tax rises - of only 10%*

The other - had to look her up I have heard that much from her.

10% my arse - most paid more than that.

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Would be interesting to 'grade' their manifestos. What they said v what they've done.

My two were sorting the sewerage into Peel Bay..although to be fair there’s probably more shit coming out of some MHKs mouths at present.

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

No. 

One of mine has taken the pay rise and got a department, despite saying they wouldn't.  Pretended to be the peoples choice and shafted EVERY vehicle owner by backing car tax rises - of only 10%*

The other - had to look her up I have heard that much from her.

10% my arse - most paid more than that.

Chapeau....

Screenshot_20230625-012639_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone want to add what they realistically would have liked to have seen them do in two years.

I stress realistically.

Dr A has progressed his very important bill.  None of the others have done anything of any note, but are they actually able to do anything that we, the voters. Would see and think was a significant achievement in two years?

50 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

My two were sorting the sewerage into Peel Bay..although to be fair there’s probably more shit coming out of some MHKs mouths at present.

Well they haven’t sorted that but that maybe due to many NIMBYs not wanting the plant near them, same as Laxey. KLB and that Garff fella who looks like  Oswald Mosley have been worst 2

• Like 1

In my own defence many people suggested that my (early) manifesto statement about not taking a departmental position was flawed thinking and that they expected their MHK to get stuck in to sorting problems rather than just shouting about them. I took that on board and changed my position to not accepting a departmental role for at least a year - which is exactly what I did when volunteering for DOI last year. Remember, there's no pay uplift now for being a political member of a department so I didn't do it for the money (one of the reasons voters think MHKs accept these gigs) and could have had a much quieter life as a backbencher.

There is a massive difference between being an idealistic candidate and being a pragmatic politician. And that's not admitting I've gone native or been assimilated by the Borg. Most people outside don't understand (or choose not to understand) the nuances and unintended consequences of every issue, but I decided I had a better chance of influencing matters from within rather than without.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

At the time I lived in Laxey and didn't vote for either of the ones elected. However I don't think the Laxey ones have done anything. I know one is Andrew Smith only because he raised his head the other week criticising schools but couldn't tell you the other Laxey MHK

You’re other one is the climate change warrior Daphne who hasn’t achieved anything yet but spent a lot of climate change fund money on new staff 

• Like 1