Novel coverage

Yibble

So as with most contributions (/ors) here, I run the risk of "keep up at the back; this was covered on page 736 of uber-thread-number-eleven", but:

R4 has a bit of a Hall Caine's Manxman thing going on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001sljg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001sljj

Interesting range of accents, from 'presumed local' to 'Dick Van Dyke goes to Foxdale'. Nevertheless, good to see the Beeb making an effort.

• Thanks 1

It was interesting from a Manx point of view, I didn't turn it off as I do for most R4 'dramas' but most illuminating was the justice system in those 1800 days.

Leaves a lot to be desired??? Fear of the system seemed to be upper hand?

Huge Manx cast.

Annie Kissack, who plays the part of Grannie Cregeen and  the role of production adviser, the three lovers in the triangle, are Kate Cregeen (Evie Killip), Philip Christian (Tom Ward-Thomas) and Pete Quilliam (Ben Karran).

Smaller parts of the young Philip, Pete, Kate and Ross were played by former Bunscoill Ghaelgagh pupils, Rafferty McKenna, Finn Franklin, Aalish Kilgallon and Ned Hampton.

Bunscoill teacher Aalin Clague played Aunty Nan and her whole class helped record a school playground scene.

Rakie Ayola played Shennaghee the storyteller, Stephen Bent took on Caesar Cregeen and Peter Christian of Ballawhaine, and Will de Renzy-Martin had the parts of Ross Christian, Doctor, Parson and Governor.

Other parts were played by Phil Gawne, John Dog Callister, Winnie Callister, Bill Corlett, Richard Corlett, Greg Joughin, Chris Sheard and Chloe Woolley.

Annie called on her choir Caarjyn Cooidjagh and other friends to go to The Albert, in Port St Mary, to work on the crowd scenes; singers, fiddlers, whistlers, shouters, brawlers and dancers.

A lot of music was recorded at the pub, some at Maughold Church, which is referred to  in the novel, some taken from existing recordings of Manx songs and tunes. 

David Kilgallon was recorded in Maughold Church playing the organ, and Kiaull Manninagh, Phynnoderee, Cairistiona Dougherty, Skeeal and The Albert Players all feature in the production.

Culture Vannin was also involved, helping with venues, contacts, music, fact checking and advice on some of the Manx elements in the script.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Indeed John. I'd also Googled, after having accidentally bumped into it whilst veg prepping and (tail end of) cocktail mixing. My initial impression though was 'job well done' and worth a proper listen later.

I’ve got it marked up on BBC Sounds and I’ll listen all the way through at once.

Ive got a full collection of Hall Caine novels, picked up for £10 from Stella’s many years ago, but he’s like Trollope, Hardy, Galsworthy, etc, almost unreadable, very wordy, nothing happens for pages of densely written description. They’re great stories, but better suited to radio, tv, or film.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

he’s like Trollope, Hardy, Galsworthy, etc, almost unreadable, very wordy, nothing happens for pages of densely written description. They’re great stories, but better suited to radio, tv, or film.

Agreed. And I'd add Dickens to that list. There's some lovely language buried in these things, but the writing style is for a time before radio, TV and the internet led to to a change in storytelling. Double bonus then: a radio serialisation with local interest combined with a reminder of how storytelling, writing and entertainment have all changed.

Edited by Yibble

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And Scott and Thackeray

Agreed. Well, except I've never actually read Thackeray* . But, pissing contest about our reading of Victorian literature aside 😉, it's splendid that R4 has picked up on Hall Caine. I love the way it's been trailed as the Eastenders of its time, which is much as the message that was handed down to me, long before Eastenders was a thing.

*But I have almost the complete recordings of the estimable Jake Thackray.

Edited by Yibble

Just now, Yibble said:

Really? Genuinely interested to know more. I'll Goggle (when sober), but all pointers gratefully appreciated.

Fake Thackeray.   He has been a tribute act for donkeys years, in his spare time.  Co-wrote his biography with the full cooperation of the Thackeray family.  I think it all started after seeing him at the folk club up in Falcon Cliff. 

• Like 3

As a thoroughly modern Manxman ??? I did find the Manx accent to be a bit offf putting. No more so than the regional accents o0f England, the Birmingham, Yorks accents etc. which seem to be of lower or less intellectual intelligence???

I'm sure had this been produced in a Dorset accent that I would not have noticed this but being familiar with the Manx accent, it stood out!!!

Still an excellent insight into the justice and social attitudes of the time and , maybe still pertaining????