Novel coverage

Yibble

I enjoyed the Deemster and the Manxman when I read them. But I was going through an Arnold Bennett and Emile Zola phase at the time. 

Speaking of Manx Accents has anyone heard the ones in Nandor Phelnge and the Talking Mongoose? Wild. 

On 11/19/2023 at 8:14 PM, John Wright said:

Ive got a full collection of Hall Caine novels, picked up for £10 from Stella’s many years ago, but he’s like Trollope, Hardy, Galsworthy, etc, almost unreadable, very wordy, nothing happens for pages of densely written description. They’re great stories, but better suited to radio, tv, or film.

I agree most of Caine’s books are absolutely terrible. It’s hard to work out how he actually got famous. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

The only thing that I really know about Hall Caine is that he wrote 'The Manxman' oh, and he was a close friend of a suspect in the Jack the Ripper case!

To be fair, so many people have been named as a suspect in the Jack the Ripper murders that it's probably mathematically impossible to have been alive in 1888 and not know at least one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1