Hitting it Big

CrazyDave

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Or how good you are at using google?

Maybe. I just put qft into Google and, err, Googled it. I don't know how good at it that makes me. I've just tried the VOR's original Q FT. That comes up with something else altogether. Something about ScHoolboys. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, StCatherine said:

Completely unrelated but it strikes me these competitions would be an excellent way to launder dirty money 💰

And the “thousands of pounds” people win are always Dave K from Douglas won a free draw for an 80p stamp with IOM Post. Or Paul F from Foxdale won a third share in an IOM TT t-shirt from Promenade t-shirts. Someone won 0.3333333% of a Landrover Discovery they can use every Wednesday in a leap year.

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

7 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

And the “thousands of pounds” people win are always Dave K from Douglas won a free draw for an 80p stamp with IOM Post. Or Paul F from Foxdale won a third share in an IOM TT t-shirt from Promenade t-shirts. Someone won 0.3333333% of a Landrover Discovery they can use every Wednesday in a leap year.

Congratulations to another local winner of £80,000 last night drawn at pretty much the exact time you were thping the idiotic post above.

• Haha 1

Thanks to the same poster who messaged to say the bloke who runs this is apparently Northern Irish.  Rumour has it that the island accidentally got hit by his Facebook marketing and is proving to be a very popular customer base for him.

I don’t know the lady who won last night but we appear to have many mutual Facebook friends and lots of names I recognise are congratulating her.  Maybe it’s just me but it makes a win seem much more achievable when so many people I know or have connections to are regularly winning 50k, 60k, 120k etc.  

Its unfortunate that what was a genuine question gor derailed by an idiot who doesn’t seem to have any friends in real life and so can’t fathom that other people have different life experiences.

He claims everyone who goes out for a meal is making it up, and I see how now started his own thread highlighting that in these times when most sane people personally know a number of LGBTQ people he clearly doesn’t know any.  Again, I guess due to very limited real world social interaction.

Anyway.  I will be chancing my hand for a few quid this week by keeping an eye on the draws with not many tickets sold and good odds, and pledging to try and not get sucked into online “debate” with people who are clearly stupid and socially awkward , or windup merchants.

8 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Maybe. I just put qft into Google and, err, Googled it. I don't know how good at it that makes me. I've just tried the VOR's original Q FT. That comes up with something else altogether. Something about ScHoolboys. 

Too vague.  It’s not surprising there are hundreds of QFT results, which is why I said it depends how you use google.

Try googling “qft internet acronym” since you were trying to find out what it means in common use in a forum.

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Too vague.  It’s not surprising there are hundreds of QFT results, which is why I said it depends how you use google.

Try googling “qft internet acronym” since you were trying to find out what it means in common use in a forum.

'I refer the hon. gentleman to the answer I gave earlier"

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Its unfortunate that what was a genuine question gor derailed by an idiot who doesn’t seem to have any friends in real life and so can’t fathom that other people have different life experiences.

There’s only one idiot posting in this thread Fantasy Dave. 

I’d not come across this before, and don’t know any local winners. That’s not to say they don’t exist! I got the same top google result as @The Voice of Reason for QFT, 2nd place was Quantum Field Theory which is more my thing. 

It’s a lottery. What you need to do is calculate the expected value of your stake. For example, the £10000 for 99p lottery, they’re selling about 15000 tickets. So your 99p stake has an expected return of £10000 x (1/15000) which is 66p. It becomes a sensible bet if they sell less than 10000 tickets, in which case you can pile in with as many tickets as you can afford at the last minute. 

Unfortunately lots of other people will do that too, meaning that your favourable odds will shift to unfavourable, and on average you’ll lose (as with all random gambling where odds are set in favour of the house)

So I agree with the OP - it’s a good business model, assuming you can persuade enough gullible people that they’re going to win. I doubt I’ll be playing, but I might have a look later on near draw time, and if there’s a 10k prize for a quid with only 5 tickets sold I’ll have a go. 

• Thanks 1

Hittin’ It Big is run from Northern Ireland, where it exists in a grey area outside of their gambling regulation. Under their laws a “competition” isn’t gambling, even where the skill-based element is a true brain-stretcher like “what’s the capital of England?”

No regulation and no regulator means no comeback if they do shaft you.

The same model wouldn’t be lawful in the Isle of Man unless you got an online gambling licence. But there’s nothing to stop Manxies gambling off-island if they want to.

The model, when it works, is great. Sell 1000 tickets at £10 for a prize worth £1000. What’s not to like?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

They stopped several years ago. Possible nearly a decade. Just trying to gauge how out of touch/detached from reality you are.

I must have imagined the car in Heathrow T5 last summer. I had been in Wetherspoon.

They did switch from a raffle- which is gambling, therefore regulated- to “spot the ball”- which is ‘skill-based’ and so not gambling and not regulated. But they still do park nice cars in airports and shopping centres with “win me” on them.

• Like 1