Hitting it Big

CrazyDave

8 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The same model wouldn’t be lawful in the Isle of Man unless you got an online gambling licence. But there’s nothing to stop Manxies gambling off-island if they want to.

It depends how they are targeting their Facebook ads. If they are actively targeting IOM residents to encourage them to participate then they will need to be licensed to comply. There are ways around that however I suppose. Say by making heavy references to it on a local forum and trying to drive traffic and interest in it that way?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

It depends how they are targeting their Facebook ads. If they are actively targeting IOM residents to encourage them to participate then they will need to be licensed to comply. There are ways around that however I suppose

They’re not resident here so there’s no real way to make Manx law apply.

I wouldn’t use any company that’s so happy to sit in a regulatory grey area, though.

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

the organisers ?

Those will be the only people really benefitting. So it’s an unlicensed Belfast run lottery company actively targeting IOM residents in complete contravention with IOM gambling and lottery licensing laws? I wonder how many IOM residents have signed up as a result of the publicity generated by this thread? Probably cheaper than buying more Facebook advertising that might contravene local gaming laws. Hopefully these nameless people who have allegedly won “tens of thousands” each will come forward and say how great and legit it all is. 

Edited by Mouthpiece

17 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

It depends how they are targeting their Facebook ads. If they are actively targeting IOM residents to encourage them to participate then they will need to be licensed to comply. There are ways around that however I suppose. Say by making heavy references to it on a local forum and trying to drive traffic and interest in it that way?

It’s nothing to do with me.  I genuinely know four people well enough that I would stop and speak to them in the street who have won over 20k each, and probably another 15 who have won smaller prizes of 1-5k

I don’t get what’s difficult to understand, the winners details are all posted on their facebook. It certainly doesn’t need more advertising on island.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

Those will be the only people really benefitting. So it’s an unlicensed Belfast run lottery company actively targeting IOM residents in complete contravention with IOM gambling and lottery licensing laws? I wonder how many IOM residents have signed up as a result of the publicity generated by this thread? Probably cheaper than buying more Facebook advertising that might contravene local gaming laws. Hopefully these nameless people who have won “tens of thousands” will come forward and say how great it is. 

Nameless?  Their  pictures are all over the Facebook page and website ffs.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I must have imagined the car in Heathrow T5 last summer. I had been in Wetherspoon.

They did switch from a raffle- which is gambling, therefore regulated- to “spot the ball”- which is ‘skill-based’ and so not gambling and not regulated. But they still do park nice cars in airports and shopping centres with “win me” on them.

I’ve been through a dozen airports in the last 12 months, some multiple times. 20+ since covid. There hasn’t been one. 

Between 2000 and 2015 they were in Gatwick Manchester and Heathrow every time I flew out of them. I’ve used all three multiple times in last two years and no BOTB.

30 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I must have imagined the car in Heathrow T5 last summer. I had been in Wetherspoon.

They did switch from a raffle- which is gambling, therefore regulated- to “spot the ball”- which is ‘skill-based’ and so not gambling and not regulated. But they still do park nice cars in airports and shopping centres with “win me” on them

Thank you.

Maybe now I will get my apology from JW.

I will put it on my mantelpiece next to my hens teeth and rocking horse shit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

If they’re actively targeting IOM residents they should be licensed.

They probably should be, but as they are based in Northern Ireland where it is lawful I don’t see that there’s really much that can be done to stop them.

As I said, I’m not sure I’d spend my money with a company so happy to deliberately place itself outside of regulatory oversight. Maybe it’s coincidence, but the UK Gambling Commission don’t cover Northern Ireland either. If they do pull a fast one you’ll have precisely zero comeback.

Edited by Ringy Rose

14 minutes ago, Turtleish said:

Mr Downey from island drainage won 20grand last year. 

So incredibly rich Northern Irish man wins even more money in unlicensed Northern Irish lottery? It can’t possibly be made up. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Haha 2