Hitting it Big

CrazyDave

1 minute ago, Banker said:

I’m assuming you’re involved somewhere? As I said above it’s absolutely no different to the many similar schemes already about, I would be concerned about some people being suckered in to gambling more than they can afford 

Not involved in any way.

Just a bloke who noticed a number of people I knew had won significant amounts of money and who asked a couple of questions and looked into it.

17 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

No you clearly don’t understand what money laundering is. It would be very easy to set up a fake unlicensed lottery that you then use to pay your drug debts or to pass substantial sums to your criminal mates who “win” big prizes in an unlicensed draw. It’s just money in, money out. Who knows what would be funding what or who would be paying who. It’s why this sort of stuff is regulated here. So £20K drug deal happens in Belfast, suddenly someone ‘randomly’ wins £20K in the IOM or anywhere else in a fake lottery. It’s easily done. 

And at the end of every AML presentation you will have the smirking presenter standing in front of their final Power Point slide which  will read:-

“If something seems too good to be true, it probably is”

Maybe the case here perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

No you clearly don’t understand what money laundering is. It would be very easy to set up a fake unlicensed lottery that you then use to pay your drug debts or to pass substantial sums to your criminal mates who “win” big prizes in an unlicensed draw. 

There were plenty of fake online poker games going on in the early days and most poker companies employ compliance people to analyze player behaviour as many games like this are basically just used to transfer money between parties and clean funds. If you win £50K on a rigged game of online poker it’s cleared through the gaming settlement account and you have clear source of funds. So Player A who owes Player B £50K for a drug deal makes sure they ultimately lose their £50K to Player B. This sort of unregulated lottery is potentially no different. Chuck a few small prizes at low level signings, and use it to transfer substantial “wins” to all your associates under the guise of lottery winnings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

There were plenty of fake online poker games going on in the early days and most poker companies employ compliance people to analyze player behaviour as many games like this are basically just used to transfer money between parties and clean funds. If you win £50K on a rigged game of online poker it’s cleared through the gaming settlement account and you have clear source of funds. So Player A who owes Player B £50K for a drug deal makes sure they ultimately lose their £50K to Player B. This sort of unregulated lottery is potentially no different. Chuck a few small prizes at low level signings, and use it to transfer substantial “wins” to all your associates under the guise of lottery winnings. 

And then post photos of them all over the internet?  Ok then 😂

I had better get new friends and business contact.  Looks like lost of them are into organised crime 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Is it properly licensed, if so where ? Who’s behind it? It’s just another gambling game, like lottery, ITV prize draws, the Omaze one in Uk for £m house etc & will lead to some betting more than they can afford 

Yes. What nobody seems to be mentioning, is how easily it is to get hooked. I know a few who won, but also know more than that, that got absolutely hooked, and before they knew it, were gambling far too much, on most of the "lotteries" on this website, and it wasn't easy stopping. If you win, great, but a lot that don't, will now be chasing their losses, just like in every other type of gambling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Last time responding to you.

I’ve added that as an optimistic placeholder. 

Hitting it big competitions are a bit like of a lottery, if your numbers come up you win a prize it is as simple as that, I myself won £250 for 49p without realising and they sent me a text to contact them and paid the money in to my account instantly. If you're not in you won't win! Lots of my friends have won a few grand, one mate a local builder won a £25,000 Audi. 

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Hitting it big competitions are a bit like of a lottery, if your numbers come up you win a prize it is as simple as that, I myself won £250 for 49p without realising and they sent me a text to contact them and paid the money in to my account instantly. If you're not in you won't win! Lots of my friends have won a few grand, one mate a local builder won a £25,000 Audi. 

according to some on here you must be into organised crime and owe someone £250 haha

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mouthpiece said:

It depends how they are targeting their Facebook ads. If they are actively targeting IOM residents to encourage them to participate then they will need to be licensed to comply. 

All Facebook ads are actively targeted - after all that's what Facebook sells its advertisers.  And Facebook make it quite clear:

Targeting requirements:

• Advertisers can use the same ad account ID to target multiple regions, as long as they have been approved to target those regions.
  • Authorized advertisers must follow all applicable laws, including targeting their ads in compliance with the minimum legal age at which individuals may use and be targeted with ads or content relating to the advertised activity in the applicable territory. At a minimum, ads may not be targeted to people under 18 years of age.
  • Ads for online gambling and gaming may only target the following countries (prior written permission must be obtained for each territory/sub-territory): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Columbia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.

The real question is whether they have received "prior written permission" to target the isle of Man and whether Facebook has been remiss in not asking for it if not.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just out of interest, does this count as, "Hitting it big" when parents with a combined income of over £160k are receiving education grants for their offspring?

Screenshot_20231120-131858_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a1da331b0ffd05f3583b24c2068a1989.jpg

1. The parents don’t receive the grants. Either the educational establishment ( grant towards fees ) or the student ( grants towards maintenance ).

As far as fees are concerned, should they be dependent on parental income?

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

according to some on here you must be into organised crime and owe someone £250 haha

That wasn't quite the point being made.  Unless properly regulated and audited and so on, such lotteries could be used to transfer crime-related payments.  That doesn't mean that everyone who "won" is involved, indeed the whole point is that you hide the crime payments among ordinary winnings, so you need a lot of small prizes to act as cover.

Of course, like all gambling it could also be used to launder money directly.  Make numerous small payments and receive a 'prize ' back where you can point to the source of income as being the winnings. 

These are fairly basic ways of criminal operation and the whole point of a 'well-regulated jurisdiction' should be that such activities should be caught.  I wouldn't join the police if I were you, the criminals are going to run rings round you.

• Like 2