Hitting it Big

CrazyDave

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The real question is whether they have received "prior written permission" to target the isle of Man and whether Facebook has been remiss in not asking for it if not.

Essentially that’s exactly what I was talking about. They won’t have had appropriate written permission as they aren’t actually legally registered here and therefore wouldn’t get permission to market as an unregulated business; so by targeting IOM residents they are breaking IOM gaming the law? I also wonder if any payments received would be taxable as a result as they aren’t really from an approved lottery where they would be expected to be tax free. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

1. The parents don’t receive the grants. Either the educational establishment ( grant towards fees ) or the student ( grants towards maintenance ).

As far as fees are concerned, should they be dependent on parental income?

Times are supposed to be hard John, belts getting tightened everywhere. Is it a good optic for families on this sort of income to be getting the benefit of grant assistance when other people in our society are getting their gas cut off?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That wasn't quite the point being made.  Unless properly regulated and audited and so on, such lotteries could be used to transfer crime-related payments. 

Yes that was the point I was making. These unregulated lottery schemes are ideal financial layering operations to mask criminal activity. Throw a few small prizes at the genuine people lured in via social media and use the whole thing to mask substantial payouts made to syndicate contributors/members under the guise of them receiving “tax free lottery wins” it’s a classic money laundering trick used all over the world to filter and clean payments. Which is why a lot of regulated companies here invest heavily into games compliance and monitoring to ensure that this sort of thing is less likely to happen. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Times are supposed to be hard John, belts getting tightened everywhere. Is it a good optic for families on this sort of income to be getting the benefit of grant assistance when other people in our society are getting their gas cut off?

The scheme is publicly available. Yes, times are hard. These are previous year. Everyone has to pay £2500 of the fees. There is a sliding parental contribution to the other £6750 once parental income exceeds £112k.

I think education to first degree level should be free of tuition fees.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

Yes that was the point I was making. These unregulated lottery schemes are ideal financial layering operations to mask criminal activity. Throw a few small prizes at the genuine people lured in via social media and use the whole thing to mask substantial payouts made to syndicate contributors/members under the guise of them receiving “tax free lottery wins” it’s a classic money laundering trick used all over the world to filter and clean payments. Which is why a lot of regulated companies here invest heavily into games compliance and monitoring to ensure that this sort of thing is less likely to happen. 

so how do you explain the big wins being given out to the ordinary folk? if it were a money laundering scheme then they are doing a fairly crap job 

19 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

so how do you explain the big wins being given out to the ordinary folk? if it were a money laundering scheme then they are doing a fairly crap job 

I’d have thought you’d be a lot more aufait with the concepts of masking, layering and the processes of sophisticated financial crime. These sort of schemes where they operate always have a handful of high profile normal winners and small winners to mask what’s really going on behind the scenes. They’re often very clever. Also creating an audit trail on social media of who has won what so that if any bank gets a bit suspect enough data will pop up in their Google searches. So Dave X who “wins” £50K can always validate the story he sells to his bank as there’s a Facebook post with his picture on it saying he’s won £50K. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mouthpiece said:

I’d have thought you’d be a lot more aufait with the concepts of masking, layering and the processes of sophisticated financial crime. These sort of schemes where they operate always have a handful of high profile normal winners and small winners to mask what’s really going on behind the scenes. They’re often very clever. Also creating an audit trail on social media of who has won what so that if any bank gets a bit suspect enough data will pop up in their Google searches. So Dave X who “wins” £50K can always validate the story he sells to his bank as there’s a Facebook post with his picture on it saying he’s won £50K. 

but I know 2 people who have won big prizes and aren't into the criminal world so while it may go on this does seem legit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The real question is whether they have received "prior written permission" to target the isle of Man and whether Facebook has been remiss in not asking for it if not.

Hospice are prevented by Facebook from advertising their lottery and car raffles, etc, because Facebook don’t recognise their IOM licence.

Facebook also don’t seem to give two shits about an unlicensed and unregulated lottery from targeting the Isle of Man.

Go figure.