IOMs most pointless vigil?

Cueey Lewis And The News

This event is a reminder that the Isle of Man "justice" system appear to have failed to prosecute any offenders relating to the alleged hate crime that took place at the Sea Terminal earlier this year. In that incident, some sort of vandalism took place of the rainbow post box within the vicinity of the Sea Terminal's CCTV video monitoring area.

Despite the usual online gutter crawlers making false public accusations at the time of who they fantasised might be responsible, I have found no subsequent public statements or comments from the police, or the Government, or the press. Was someone identified? Was someone prosecuted? Why is this not on the public record? Allegedly, a hate crime took place. Where is the prosecution of the offender? Where is the justice? What happened?

I've repeatedly contacted the police to learn more, but have been unsuccessful - the alleged offenders should be investigated and brought to justice. Bringing criminals to justice would represent taking action. Action speaks much louder than mere words.

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

They should call it The Colossefton. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Calling that area an 'amphitheatre' is bonkers though.

It's a semi-circle.  Personally I'd say to be deemed an amphitheater it would have to at least one additional raised level of seating. 

When snowboarding in Canada, a local showed me to a semi-circular construction made from snow with about 3 or 4 steps/seating levels, hidden in the trees behind one of the lifts.  For viewing the sunset whilst having a beer or spliff; that was definitely an amphitheater. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Josem said:

This event is a reminder that the Isle of Man "justice" system appear to have failed to prosecute any offenders relating to the alleged hate crime that took place at the Sea Terminal earlier this year. In that incident, some sort of vandalism took place of the rainbow post box within the vicinity of the Sea Terminal's CCTV video monitoring area.

smash a letterbox you're a vandal , smash a letter box that isn't red it's a hate crime ,  maybe everything should be painted in rainbow colours so there are only hate crimes if someone smashes something ??.

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's a semi-circle.  Personally I'd say to be deemed an amphitheater it would have to at least one additional raised level of seating. 

When snowboarding in Canada, a local showed me to a semi-circular construction made from snow with about 3 or 4 steps/seating levels, hidden in the trees behind one of the lifts.  For viewing the sunset whilst having a beer or spliff; that was definitely an amphitheater. 

Words with Greek roots are always a minefield 

amphi, two, double both, both sides

teatron a viewing area, for performances

No mention of steps or tiers or seats.

so a semi circular space where things happening inside the space can be viewed is, indeed, an amphitheatre

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Josem said:

Despite the usual online gutter crawlers making false public accusations at the time of who they fantasised might be responsible, I have found no subsequent public statements or comments from the police, or the Government, or the press. Was someone identified? Was someone prosecuted? Why is this not on the public record? Allegedly, a hate crime took place. Where is the prosecution of the offender? Where is the justice? What happened?

I've repeatedly contacted the police to learn more, but have been unsuccessful - the alleged offenders should be investigated and brought to justice. Bringing criminals to justice would represent taking action. Action speaks much louder than mere words.

Why would the police give you any information? As you say it's a post box so the victim would be royal mail maybe give them a shout and see if they might tell you something 

I can tell you that trans violence does in deed occur in Douglas and around the island. Im a trans person myself that is friends with or knows quite a lot of the trans community. I have friends who have been attacked quite viciously for simply being themselves and other friends who are subject to abuse in public on a daily basis. Should, heaven forbid, any of you actually engage a trans person in a conversation, rather than getting your info from your degree in GBeebies News, you would be aware of the issues that trans people do actually face on this island.

The vigil isn't just for the purposes of issues faced locally, it's a remembrance to those who have died in the last year as a result of the rising anti trans rhetoric. Suicide rates amongst trans people are rising due to the current climate and hate crime including murder of trans people is on the rise also. It may not mean much to you, but it does to us, because it DOES affect us directly. You aren't subject to this horseshit on a daily basis, you aren't subject to the the literal avalanche of bullshit that is fired at us from every direction, every minute of every day, no matter which direction we try to turn. The lies, the misinformation, the hate, the anger, bullshit news reports, hate mail, for what? Existing? I feel like I live a world of simple minded easily lead dickheads who believe every story the media puts out about trans people being the devil. Get a grip.

Edited by Chie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Words with Greek roots are always a minefield 

amphi, two, double both, both sides

teatron a viewing area, for performances

No mention of steps or tiers or seats.

so a semi circular space where things happening inside the space can be viewed is, indeed, an amphitheatre

Words change meaning, though. A journey was originally one day's travel, an expedition on foot, and so on. So while it's probably not what most people would think of as an amphitheatre, it could be. Humpty Dumpty nailed it when he said, ' Words mean exactly what I want them to,' while Wittgenstein took a more nuanced view involving language games. I should get out more.

7 hours ago, Chie said:

The vigil isn't just for the purposes of issues faced locally, it's a remembrance to those who have died in the last year as a result of the rising anti trans rhetoric.

Some might say it’s rising anti trans rhetoric that’s directly proportionate with the aggressive nonsense being pumped out by the trans community and the hate filled anti science echo chamber that’s been created on social media that sets out to attack and de-platform absolutely anyone who gets in their way. Much of it is self fueling and many of the tactics used by trans activists appear to be just plain nasty. Without all of that hardly anyone would probably care. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Chie said:

I can tell you that trans violence does in deed occur in Douglas and around the island. Im a trans person myself that is friends with or knows quite a lot of the trans community. I have friends who have been attacked quite viciously for simply being themselves and other friends who are subject to abuse in public on a daily basis. Should, heaven forbid, any of you actually engage a trans person in a conversation, rather than getting your info from your degree in GBeebies News, you would be aware of the issues that trans people do actually face on this island.

The vigil isn't just for the purposes of issues faced locally, it's a remembrance to those who have died in the last year as a result of the rising anti trans rhetoric. Suicide rates amongst trans people are rising due to the current climate and hate crime including murder of trans people is on the rise also. It may not mean much to you, but it does to us, because it DOES affect us directly. You aren't subject to this horseshit on a daily basis, you aren't subject to the the literal avalanche of bullshit that is fired at us from every direction, every minute of every day, no matter which direction we try to turn. The lies, the misinformation, the hate, the anger, bullshit news reports, hate mail, for what? Existing? I feel like I live a world of simple minded easily lead dickheads who believe every story the media puts out about trans people being the devil. Get a grip.

Ok fair enough, but is a 'vigil' actually what you want, think will change anything or really provide some sort of solace or support?

It's like when someone really can't be arsed, but wants to be seen to be doing/saying something - so they offer their 'Hopes and Prayers'. 

If the violence and anti-trans rhetoric is as you say, do you not feel a public vigil would be goading and a potential target?  Would it not be better held (and warmer and drier) and more productive if held in a Church Hall or Community Centre?  

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Ok fair enough, but is a 'vigil' actually what you want, think will change anything or really provide some sort of solace or support?

It's like when someone really can't be arsed, but wants to be seen to be doing/saying something - so they offer their 'Hopes and Prayers'. 

If the violence and anti-trans rhetoric is as you say, do you not feel a public vigil would be goading and a potential target?  Would it not be better held (and warmer and drier) and more productive if held in a Church Hall or Community Centre?  

No social movement has ever effected change by hiding so noone sees them... As with most ways the gutter press tries to divide people, the antidote is meeting/seeing the "other" and realising that everyone is just a person who wants to get on with their life.

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No social movement has ever effected change by hiding so noone sees them... As with most ways the gutter press tries to divide people, the antidote is meeting/seeing the "other" and realising that everyone is just a person who wants to get on with their life.

Seems to be working for Just stop oil..... 

I know it might sound like it, but I'm not really suggesting hiding.  It honestly sounds like somewhere indoors, warm, dry with seating might be better option than standing outside with a candle on the Prom in November! 

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Seems to be working for Just stop oil..... 

I know it might sound like it, but I'm not really suggesting hiding.  It honestly sounds like somewhere indoors, warm, dry with seating might be better option than standing outside with a candle on the Prom in November! 

Definitely more people talking about Oil than would be if Just Stop Oil didn't exist. Some of it not positive, but most protests that have actually caused changes to Govt policy have been disruptive. It's the only language the Govt speaks...

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Definitely more people talking about Oil than would be if Just Stop Oil didn't exist. Some of it not positive, but most protests that have actually caused changes to Govt policy have been disruptive. It's the only language the Govt speaks...

I think they are having the opposite effect to what they are trying to achieve though? People may be talking about it, but are coming to different conclusions than the protesters perhaps?