IOMs most pointless vigil?

Cueey Lewis And The News

Pointless explaining.  Every time this comes up, it is the same round and round discussion.  The simple fact is there are people whose belief on how the world should be is unshakeable.  You cannot reason, provide evidence or persuade.

At its very simplest, there are people who just cannot get their head around the difference between sex and gender.  I found it hard until it was explained that sex is the physical manifestation and gender is the psychological manifestation and the two aren't always in sync.

Once you understand that, the rest is pretty logical, but if you take your position from a dictionary, you aren't going to 'get it'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Pointless explaining.  Every time this comes up, it is the same round and round discussion.  The simple fact is there are people whose belief on how the world should be is unshakeable.  You cannot reason, provide evidence or persuade.

At its very simplest, there are people who just cannot get their head around the difference between sex and gender.  I found it hard until it was explained that sex is the physical manifestation and gender is the psychological manifestation and the two aren't always in sync.

Once you understand that, the rest is pretty logical, but if you take your position from a dictionary, you aren't going to 'get it'. 

You seem to describe yourself in that first paragraph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

You seem to describe yourself in that first paragraph

Yes one of several overtly pompous people on this forum who seem to believe that they own the debate and that other views simply don’t count when all views are perfectly valid. Almost everyone gets the difference between sex and gender. It’s the other science denying and truth twisting that generally creates friction when most people just want everyone to get on with their lives without making a big song and dance about everything to attention seek. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Sorry Gladys. You are normally one of the sanest posters on here. But when you can’t get your head around the fact that a person with a penis is a man, I’m lost.

It’s almost like you’ve fallen victim to a cult. 

If someone was to assert to me that the moon was made of blue cheese I’d just nod my head. and say yes of course it  is.That’s fine.

Theres no harm in that but the propaganda that these trans activists are spreading can be particularly damaging especially among the younger, more easily influenced population .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Yes one of several overtly pompous people on this forum who seem to believe that they own the debate and that other views simply don’t count when all views are perfectly valid. Almost everyone gets the difference between sex and gender. It’s the other science denying and truth twisting that generally creates friction when most people just want everyone to get on with their lives without making a big song and dance about everything to attention seek. 

I have hardly entered this debate, so could hardly own it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Sorry Gladys. You are normally one of the sanest posters on here. But when you can’t get your head around the fact that a person with a penis is a man, I’m lost.

It’s almost like you’ve fallen victim to a cult. 

If someone was to assert to me that the moon was made of blue cheese I’d just nod my head. and say yes of course it  is.That’s fine.

Theres no harm in that but the propaganda that these trans activists are spreading can be particularly damaging especially among the younger, more easily influenced population .

I can get my head around the fact that someone who has a penis is considered male, but can also appreciate that the owner of that penis may not feel they are a man. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

But there have been plenty of previous debates of a similar  ilk in which you have participated and expressed the same sentiments.

I don’t want to fall out with you.

Yes, there, but again, I have not dominated them. There are other posters who have more direct experience and understanding of the issue.

I don't want to fall out with anyone, certainly not you, but the persistent argument seems to be that this is a made-up issue all about attention seeking, with no empathy or attempt to understand. 

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well they may not feel they are a man but unfortunately for them they are

Whichever way you look at it my fake £25 Rolex will never be anything but a fake £25 Rolex no matter how hard it tries. I’m perfectly happy to accept anyone’s chosen gender role play situation and respect them in that chosen gender role. But I’m not going to buy into any of their self fueled delusion that they have actually changed their biological sex when they haven’t. They have socially and physically transitioned in society and that’s perfectly fine and acceptable. The debate seems to have lost its way in the last 10 years which is doing the cause a lot of harm. 

• Haha 1