Manx State Pension

Major Rushen

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No. The UK pensioners Christmas bonus is a measly £10. Not sure what the other £490 is in your £500 figure.

I think pensioners in uk have recently had between £300  and £600 as a winter heating allowance. 

It was dependent on age. It was a significant amount for all over 65s as far as I know and increased with age. 

• Thanks 1

That’s a winter fuel allowance, not a Pensioners Christmas Bonus. And, yes, it depends on age and what benefits you are on and whether you are partnered ( and their age and benefit entitlement ).

Anyone was suggesting the UK pensioners Christmas Bonus was £500. It isn’t.

However, that shouldn’t detract from a debate about how IoMG justify not paying a pensioners winter fuel allowance for winter 23/4.

Last year it was probably because they allowed MUA to sell electricity below the cost of production for an extended period. Racking up a huge loss, between £26 and £50 million.

Of course that subsidised everyone, even those on tax caps, rather than focussing on those who needed it. We know that £600 to every pensioner is approx £14 million - because of the recent pension increase announcement.

Now, all of us, from the very poorest to the very richest will have to suffer increased electricity prices whilst the additional debt is paid back.

As in all these things, subsidy needs to be focussed, not general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dreamon said:

But, in the UK the elderly also receive an annual heating allowance (not means tested).

There is also single person occupancy rebate on council tax payment - no such rebate on the IOM.

See above. Whilst the heating allowance is not directly means tested it varies between £250 and £600 and what you get depends on what pensions or benefits you receive. And the benefits that link to the winter heating allowance increased rates are means tested. 

Average council tax in England is between £1200 and £3000 a year, plus water charge.

Average rates in IoM are between £500-£2000 plus water rates.

Just now, forestboy said:

How many properties on the island are single occupancy? 

I reckon quite a lot, between young singlies and oldies, divorced/widowed etc.

We've been promised a rating review since forever with the old system having been using rent values since the early 70s, for some reason Govt eternally drags its heels. Possibly because if all this was actually evaluated and applied it might involve some loss of revenue, in my cynical mind.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Passing Time said:

For those who have worked and contributed all their lives, the pension should match what the government considers the minimum amount liveable wage.

What’s your proposal for funding this? If you said minimum wage of £10.75 x 4  is c£22500 pa which is totally unaffordable without a massive increase in taxes for working people.

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I reckon quite a lot, between young singlies and oldies, divorced/widowed etc.

We've been promised a rating review since forever with the old system having been using rent values since the early 70s, for some reason Govt eternally drags its heels. Possibly because if all this was actually evaluated and applied it might involve some loss of revenue, in my cynical mind.

Had a conversation  with Chris Thomas a few years ago about this and said  he had put ideas to treasury and basically they said it was all too complicated to come up with a fair way of applying it.  

Just now, Dirty Buggane said:

What £50,000. Is that not what that prick Wild said he needed to be able to live on.

It was Bill Henderson, couldn't get by on less apparently, though it was a few years ago. He'll need £100k now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

How many properties on the island are single occupancy? 

54 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Lots more than you think. 12,158.  

I suppose you might presume that it effects mostly fairly young single occupants living in apartments in full-time occupation.  I would like to challenge that view if that is the conclusion. The census would give more accurate picture.

Edited by Lilly
to