More magazine

jackwhite

Whenever I read these sort of publications (free link here https://issuu.com/keithu/docs/more_magazine_2024_edition_lr?fr=xKAE9_zU1NQ) I automatically think how nothing is joined up here on the Isle of Man.

For me, everyone here should be coming together to sell the island, for the benefit of us all. Although some have an issue with it, there is a 'strategy' to attract people here. This sort of magazine, for me, would just put a lot of ordinary folk off. It's all aimed at the HNW individual with a 2 page spread on a guy who moved here, after becoming a millionaire selling private medical insurance, to keep more of his money. Complete with a photo of his Ferrari and mansion. OK, nothing necessarily wrong with that and certainly not the first, nor the last, but millionaires make up less than 10% of the world population. Do the IOM really think they're going to attract a large amount of them? 

Then there's the business strategy. IOMG have their poster businesses and now are promoting a joint initiative between Fynoderee, Outlier and H&B. There are others in there who are continually used in their marketing materials. Some of these are good businesses and people. But I can't help but feel there could be some sort of consortium rather than just hand picked businesses by Business Isle of Man, who, IMO, don't have much of a clue. 

It's the same in general on the island. Businesses are struggling. Hospitality should be coming together to create a scene. It doesn't work like that though, most of them are too protective and don't realise the benefits of collaborations to attract more people out in total, that would lead to them actually getting more customers rather than losing some. It's down to individual businesses to try and raise the bar and provide something different or better. 

In respect of the Government, it would be better if they simply became a facilitator to get our businesses coming together to both highlight how much we do have to offer here to the people on the Isle of Man and then those beyond. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

ETA: As long as it doesn't cost the taxpayer anything.

"The second edition of 'More' Magazine is now available to read online and highlights the many benefits of relocating to the Isle of Man for new businesses and residents.

The high-quality annual magazine, which was published in late 2021, is the product of a collaboration between Keith Uren Publishing Ltd, the Isle of Man Government’s Department for Enterprise and numerous Isle of Man private sector organisations, whom over many years have worked together to achieve a common goal of economic prosperity for the Island."

It does cost the taxpayer something.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"The second edition of 'More' Magazine is now available to read online and highlights the many benefits of relocating to the Isle of Man for new businesses and residents.

The high-quality annual magazine, which was published in late 2021, is the product of a collaboration between Keith Uren Publishing Ltd, the Isle of Man Government’s Department for Enterprise and numerous Isle of Man private sector organisations, whom over many years have worked together to achieve a common goal of economic prosperity for the Island."

It does cost the taxpayer something.

I would have hoped that Keith would have recouped the cost of design and online production (which I think he does himself) and print (if any were printed) via the advertisements (which won't have come cheap) without any subsidy or fee from IOMG us. But somehow I doubt it. 

Edited by Andy Onchan

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

"but millionaires make up less than 10% of the world population."

According to the figures I have seen you have exaggerated figures slightly. Whilst you are correct in it being less than 10 % it is actually a long way from 10%

"1.1% of the world's adult population are millionaires. This adds up to about 56 million people." 

3 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Then there's the business strategy. IOMG have their poster businesses and now are promoting a joint initiative between Fynoderee, Outlier and H&B.

Oh that’s what it’s all about then. Nobody asked you and now you’re pissed off.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Whenever I read these sort of publications (free link here https://issuu.com/keithu/docs/more_magazine_2024_edition_lr?fr=xKAE9_zU1NQ) I automatically think how nothing is joined up here on the Isle of Man.

For me, everyone here should be coming together to sell the island, for the benefit of us all. Although some have an issue with it, there is a 'strategy' to attract people here. This sort of magazine, for me, would just put a lot of ordinary folk off. It's all aimed at the HNW individual with a 2 page spread on a guy who moved here, after becoming a millionaire selling private medical insurance, to keep more of his money. Complete with a photo of his Ferrari and mansion. OK, nothing necessarily wrong with that and certainly not the first, nor the last, but millionaires make up less than 10% of the world population. Do the IOM really think they're going to attract a large amount of them? 

Then there's the business strategy. IOMG have their poster businesses and now are promoting a joint initiative between Fynoderee, Outlier and H&B. There are others in there who are continually used in their marketing materials. Some of these are good businesses and people. But I can't help but feel there could be some sort of consortium rather than just hand picked businesses by Business Isle of Man, who, IMO, don't have much of a clue. 

It's the same in general on the island. Businesses are struggling. Hospitality should be coming together to create a scene. It doesn't work like that though, most of them are too protective and don't realise the benefits of collaborations to attract more people out in total, that would lead to them actually getting more customers rather than losing some. It's down to individual businesses to try and raise the bar and provide something different or better. 

In respect of the Government, it would be better if they simply became a facilitator to get our businesses coming together to both highlight how much we do have to offer here to the people on the Isle of Man and then those beyond. 

Now listen jack. I've told you a million times   DON'T EXAGGERATE

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Like 1