Castle Rushen School

The Phantom

Another royal shambles it seems.  I've got the option of sending kids there or to Ballakermeen and to be honest the biggest thing putting me off is the fact it's pretty much falling down.  Same story with the swimming pool next door.  Is this something to do with the Ctown Politicos?

No mention of kennels or cat-flaps. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/a-new-castle-rushen-high-school-the-story-so-far/

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Another royal shambles it seems.  I've got the option of sending kids there or to Ballakermeen and to be honest the biggest thing putting me off is the fact it's pretty much falling down.  Same story with the swimming pool next door.  Is this something to do with the Ctown Politicos?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/a-new-castle-rushen-high-school-the-story-so-far/

Basically lack of available funds, you’ve got many calling for a stop to using reserves to fund expenditure including capex and you’ve got an equal amount calling for more expenditure on education, health, roads, airport etc etc & without increased taxes or increased population bringing more tax then the situation will continue. Issue with all many economies with aging population being a major cause.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Basically lack of available funds, you’ve got many calling for a stop to using reserves to fund expenditure including capex and you’ve got an equal amount calling for more expenditure on education, health, roads, airport etc etc & without increased taxes or increased population bringing more tax then the situation will continue. Issue with all many economies with aging population being a major cause.

I think what you mean is the size of the administration and its penchant for wholesale waste. There is no money now, mainly because of government profligacy, ineptitude, mismanagement , call it what you will. Whichever way, we have gone from an affluent society to the bottom of the bowl in just a few short years. The funds wasted on failed and mismanaged projects and vanity projects could have built a number of schools.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Ballakermeen if I was you. I went to CRHS a long time ago but there's no way I'd send my kids there now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

It says built in 1961, but I thought it opened late 40's / early 50's - was it pre-fab then?

BHS was built in the 30s. They built stuff to last then unlike in the 60s. It also had a lot of extensions and development since then (some good some bad). They built a huge new 6th form section about 10 years ago and there was a big new hall development about 20 years ago. Not sure if there has been much development and improvement of CRHS over that time? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You can bet that, like the hospital, it'll cost three times as much to build as the same size school in the U.K.  

Nobody in this current government should be allowed anywhere near a building project. They have not got a clue and as you rightly say, will end up costing a lot more.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

BHS was built in the 30s. They built stuff to last then unlike in the 60s. It also had a lot of extensions and development since then (some good some bad). They built a huge new 6th form section about 10 years ago and there was a big new hall development about 20 years ago. Not sure if there has been much development and improvement of CRHS over that time? 

`I meant CRHS - I thought it opened before 1961. In fact I'm pretty certain.

It was pretty grotty in the 80's - but wasn't everything. It certainly didn't seem only 20 years old.

They added a new block / library etc then but we had many lessons in mobile classrooms. I think they've added more to it in the 90's.

30 minutes ago, asitis said:

I think what you mean is the size of the administration and its penchant for wholesale waste. There is no money now, mainly because of government profligacy, ineptitude, mismanagement , call it what you will. Whichever way, we have gone from an affluent society to the bottom of the bowl in just a few short years. The funds wasted on failed and mismanaged projects and vanity projects could have built a number of schools.

That’s definitely part of it but the costs of Covid c£250m+ have also contributed to lack of funds/escalation of costs, the costs of Covid have also caused massive impact on nearly every world economy. One can argue about the money given to s9me businesses and the full payment to most public sector for doing nothing whilst self employed got very little etc the fact remains it was very costly