Eastern Recycling Jobsworths

John Wright

It’s a sad fact that most who fly tip will have never even gone down the legal route. Once they bought the charges in for fridges etc there was only one thing that would happen. My back lane the other week had managed to accumulate a dishwasher and couple of fridges/freezers . Corpy rolled up and lifted them. No option really. Never going to trace the perps. 

3 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

John is lucky that he could find a jobs worth to supply him with such information at the tip. The last time I went there I asked a question about which skip to use and the bloke shook his head and muttered at me in an African language and walked off which led me to believe that he didn’t actually speak English. I thought it rather odd that someone who clearly couldn’t interact with service users at a basic had actually been employed. 

Not sure I remotely believe this. But you won’t care so it’s fine. The guys down there when I’ve been have been friendly , courteous and spoke English. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The guys down there when I’ve been have been friendly , courteous and spoke English. 

Yeah I'd have to generally agree, they are usually helpful and I go fairly regularly.

It's only the once with the Hire Van that I've had a problem.

Although actually I once didn't get let in 5 mins before closing and it would have taken me 2 mins to dump my stuff.  That was slightly irritating. 

14 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not sure I remotely believe this. But you won’t care so it’s fine. The guys down there when I’ve been have been friendly , courteous and spoke English. 

It’s 100% true. About 4 weeks ago. 

58 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

It’s a sad fact that most who fly tip will have never even gone down the legal route. Once they bought the charges in for fridges etc there was only one thing that would happen. My back lane the other week had managed to accumulate a dishwasher and couple of fridges/freezers . Corpy rolled up and lifted them. No option really. Never going to trace the perps. 

When I lived in England we had a bulky waste collection for items of furniture and fridges etc. Initially it was free but now £20-£30 per item.

You can arrange collection on-line.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Had to replace a small fridge I keep in my en-suite for medicines and cold water and  ( soft ) drinks.

I think I paid £50 for it 10+ years ago. Replacement cost £90.

Willing to pay the £36 fee.

Would they take it? No. Why? It is lockable, therefore it must be commercial. They don’t take commercial waste.

It’s a cube, 15”x15”x15”.

Is it any wonder people fly tip.

Asked if allowed to remove door. No!

Have you tried to sell it ? Sometimes that may be an easier choice than trying to take it to the tip. People will even take the ones not working for spares/ repair

Suggest that you advertise for sale for at least £20 o.n.o and then negotiate down. I've noticed that offering  it for free triggers some kind of crazy human psychology . People don't value anything  that's free..

Like someone wanting me to deliver a free sofa and getting upset when I said I couldn't!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Have you tried to sell it ? Sometimes that may be an easier choice than trying to take it to the tip. People will even take the ones not working for spares/ repair

Suggest that you advertise for sale for at least £20 o.n.o and then negotiate down. I've noticed that offering  it for free triggers some kind of crazy human psychology . People don't value anything  that's free..

Like someone wanting me to deliver a free sofa and getting upset when I said I couldn't!!

Brought it home, removed lock, covered hole with duct tape. They took it down south. 

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I’ve just cut my old fridge freezer up into smaller chunks. It’s been going in the bin piecemeal for the last few weeks. Last bit going in tomorrow. 

I did this with a TV. Put the glass in the recycling, all the circuit boards and metal in the skip and the plastic in the bin. But then, I like taking things apart.

I'd probably do it to a fridge too.

• Like 2