Barclays cutting jobs in the UK

thommo2010

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

Gef has an article on this, and it’s very likely of Manx redundancies. Much consternation on social media, especially as Barclays were lauded at the newspaper awards. It’s also not nice, whether it’s IOM, CI or UK redundancies in the run up to Christmas, especially within the harshest economic climate. There will be some IOMG cheerleaders who will no doubt spinning this as positive. 

Just goes to show you can't always believe what you read in Isle of Man newspapers ,or their awards  !

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, asitis said:

Automation eh !  That will be the one where some useless tossers standing with iPads, ask if they can do anything to help, then direct you to join the large queue formed at the one teller with a person working on it !

No , that can’t happen as IOM bank have a patent on that exercise .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I went to pay in some cash (£50) to my personal current a/c, and because I didn't have a debit card with me was asked 'security questions' - d.o.b., etc in front of a full banking hall. I had given the a/c number from my phone app, but still had to go through this rigmarole. When did this become a thing? Oh, and the teller was wearing a scruffy fleece and clearly hadn't brushed or combed his hair for a while. The whole experience suggested the bank couldn't be bothered and would prefer not to deal with customers in person at all.

• 7 months later...
23 minutes ago, Trousers said:

Maybe you should have had an embarrassing online rage against your poor treatment instead? 

he should give bundesbank a call and move accounts.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:58 AM, Harry Lamb said:

I went to pay in some cash (£50) to my personal current a/c, and because I didn't have a debit card with me was asked 'security questions' - d.o.b., etc in front of a full banking hall. I had given the a/c number from my phone app, but still had to go through this rigmarole. When did this become a thing? Oh, and the teller was wearing a scruffy fleece and clearly hadn't brushed or combed his hair for a while. The whole experience suggested the bank couldn't be bothered and would prefer not to deal with customers in person at all.

Which bank? I went into one to pay cash into someone's else's account armed only with an account number as wasn't asked a thing. good job as it wasn't my account anyway.

5 hours ago, Trousers said:

I wonder how much in commercial rates do Barclays pay Douglas Council for their various buildings to be so openly insulted by a Council member on social media? 

this is what is called bringing the council into disrepute , he should be disciplined  for this  or at the very least made to make an apology ,

• Like 1

I’ve been banking with iom bank for far to many years to remember but in the last 5/6 years it’s increasingly getting worse by big steps each year.

I have also noticed a big decline in competent staff, ( apologies to the very few good staff)  most banks seem to be all the same and want to eventually be run by ai robots thus forcing everyone online , when a new generation of scammers will hack and steal from those not tech savvy.

2 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

I’ve been banking with iom bank for far to many years to remember but in the last 5/6 years it’s increasingly getting worse by big steps each year.

I have also noticed a big decline in competent staff, ( apologies to the very few good staff)  most banks seem to be all the same and want to eventually be run by ai robots thus forcing everyone online , when a new generation of scammers will hack and steal from those not tech savvy.

It is the same with all the Banks - the problem is that Banking is no longer regarded as a profession and it is simply a job. It used to be that you started at the bottom as a junior and had career progression during which you learned all aspects of Banking culminating ( if you were good enough) in becoming a Manager with decision making responsibilities. Then Chartered Accountants got into Banking and decided that they knew how to run the Banks more efficiently and that all jobs could be done with the aid of tick lists. You now get employed in a specific role for which no experience is needed and the tick list rules. I understand that most managers (note the small  m - they are mainly inexperienced kids! ) now cannot make any decisions outside of tick lists and all lending decisions etc are now "centralised" but still devoid of any individual making a decision.       

• Like 4

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

That page is stupid. If the cashpoint tweet has been deleted what is to be gained from publishing a screenshot of it? 

Pathetic attempt to keep the story going, obviously.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Pathetic attempt to keep the story going, obviously.

Not much of a story though. I saw some spur of the moment intemperate language deployed which, although a tad unwise, was hardly bullying. It is fucking annoying when a card gets retained, can be a real inconvenience. 

• Thanks 1