Laxey Beach

Nellie

3 hours ago, De nada said:

And exactly the same insults...

Fantasy, idiot, bullshitter etc.

Use your imagination girls. Stop repeating the same old boring stuff. 

Some may be using up all their imagination thinking up new identities.

But in reality there are actually more of them than each thinks there are.  Some are so narcissistic that they they think that anyone who attacks them must be the same person.  Presumably everyone else in the universe has to think they are wonderful and always right about everything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

It just shows what can be done, if this is done say twice a year springtime and Autumn it could work.

Lets wait and see.  I'm still pretty skeptical.  Bearing in mind you're now going to have full strength of the waves hitting the sea wall, rather than it being broken first by the steep bank of pebbles.   I would actually be pleased to be proved wrong however.  Any idea where they put the pebbles? 

Also, just for context, Laxey prom is what 150m long?  Douglas would need probably 2km of this doing... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Lets wait and see.  I'm still pretty skeptical.  Bearing in mind you're now going to have full strength of the waves hitting the sea wall, rather than it being broken first by the steep bank of pebbles.   I would actually be pleased to be proved wrong however.  Any idea where they put the pebbles? 

Also, just for context, Laxey prom is what 150m long?  Douglas would need probably 2km of this doing... 

the waves were hitting the seawall long before the build up of sand and shingle , that's what the seawall is for.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The rock/pebbles were dumped up against the outside of the harbour wall. You can just see smallish mound up against the wall in the second photo.

48 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The rock/pebbles were dumped up against the outside of the harbour wall. You can just see smallish mound up against the wall in the second photo.

That's surely only a miniscule proportion of them. Look how much they've removed!

51 minutes ago, WTF said:

the waves were hitting the seawall long before the build up of sand and shingle , that's what the seawall is for.

True. But what's been going on in the wall behind those pebbles for the last however many years? Sure as hell isn't any maintenence. 

No stones were removed. They were levelled off lower down and the uppermost ones pushed along to the harbour end, where they were needed. The wall is quite regularly exposed, and while there has been little maintenance it's actually in quite good condition. It might be a good idea to dump a few thousand tonnes of the stones out at sea as they were scoured from river beds in days gone by and taken to Laxey beach by the government.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Harry Lamb said:

they were scoured from river beds in days gone by and taken to Laxey beach by the government.

Really?  I never knew that.

Is that why my childhood recollection is of a much nicer and sandier beach?

If so, get rid of them, but how does that explain Cornaa up the coast which is all stones?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Really?  I never knew that.

Is that why my childhood recollection is of a much nicer and sandier beach?

If so, get rid of them, but how does that explain Cornaa up the coast which is all stones?

It's always had pebbles at the top. The rock reef at the harbour mouth sporadically gets covered in sand, or not. That just appears to be cyclical or maybe big rocks washed down in the floods. It sort of infills the sand from the northside. 

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Laxey Beach is a lot longer than 150m - more like 400m. The problematic part of Douglas is from Broadway northwards, to around the Palace. It’s a similar length. 

• Like 1