Homelessness Strategy to go before Tynwald in December 2023

Moghrey Mie

If it comes to a choice between social issues affecting people on the island, dealing with the haves and have nots, you will find that our politicos will jump on their hobby horses. Not that I don’t think assisted dying isn’t worthy, but compared to other issues, it’s indulgent. As for Hooperman and his bashing the bishop ……….. navel gazing at its best. 

11 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

At least this strategy will put it on the government's agenda.

Doesn’t mean to say it’s going to be acted upon. Granted it will be presented to Tynpotwald, it will be ruminated, regurgitated and cogitated and no doubt voted through, but it’s follow through action as with any government policy. Talk is cheap. 

My view is the lack of compassion, but also due to the unwillingness by successive IOM Governments to admit that there are homeless people on the Island. For Governments that tout our GDP, homelessness is an embarrassment, a blot on an otherwise ‘pretty’ statistical dashboard... Hence there are endless discussions and procrastinations, i.e., homelessness remains on the back burner.  Labour Party MHKs must actively push this issue forward - less talking more practical doing. Please.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, code99 said:

My view is the lack of compassion, but also due to the unwillingness by successive IOM Governments to admit that there are homeless people on the Island. For Governments that tout our GDP, homelessness is an embarrassment, a blot on an otherwise ‘pretty’ statistical dashboard... Hence there are endless discussions and procrastinations, i.e., homelessness remains on the back burner.  Labour Party MHKs must actively push this issue forward - less talking more practical doing. Please.

As far as IOMG homelessness doesn’t exist, and sofa surfing or other associated social issues doesn’t exist. It’s there but our politicos don’t like it spoiling any of the islands success stories. A homeless shelter for example could have been established, using one of IOMG unused buildings, eg ex Fairfield School. It could be repurposed at minimal cost, without spending £ms and used for a 10 year lifespan, until its future is decided. No doubt someone will demand that facilities have state of the art, but someone who has difficulty in finding accommodation due to drink/substance/financial abuse etc, or are well known due to their extensive criminal history, and no landlord will house them - they may be eternally appreciative of a roof over their head, a warm bed, and help and support to rebuild their lives. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Haven't read the report yet but does it say the Strategy can be rolled out with existing resources?

As with everything at the moment, it will involve IOMG spending £millions, and as usual not having a clue where the money is going least of all spent on.