House of Keys December 5th 2023

Moghrey Mie

I really don't think these clowns have really understood the legal and administrative implications of that vote. If the Bishop doesn't have a vote in Tynwald then we might as well disengage the CoE completely from the legislature and be done with it.

Oi Hooperman! What the fuck are you doing about the funding shortfall for the DHSC?????????

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Oi Hooperman! What the fuck are you doing about the funding shortfall for the DHSC?????????

Clearly nothing.   Last I heard, he’d fallen back on any shortfall being made up through “efficiencies” - unfortunately, the efficiencies that they choose nearly always make the service worse, because they don’t discuss the effects with the right people.

Maybe he wants to be Minister in charge of…er…ministers.

• Like 1

I agree with him, and suggested the Bishop could have a guaranteed place on the shortlist for MLC elections rather a God-given right to sit in LegCo.

I also agreed with the comment that whilst we indeed have bigger fish to fry, that is always the response when someone wants to block a motion, and on this issue people have been doing exactly that for years. There's never a 'good time' to bring this kind of thing forward, and it doesn't detract (except for an hour in Keys) from any of those bigger fish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am glad that 14 MHKs voted for this bill, it should have been all sorted out in June and the Bishop got rid of then.    There is no place for religion in Politics, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury has proved this time and time again with his constant interference in UK politics. I cannot find any mention of who voted for and who for against anywhere.   Chris Thomas is an annoyance as Laurie Hooper pointed out, I entirely agree with him, since he got the push from the DOI he has just been an absolute pain trying to muddy the water no matter what his pity party has gone on and on I just hope the people who voted for him are taking note and act accordingly at the next election.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Clearly nothing.   Last I heard, he’d fallen back on any shortfall being made up through “efficiencies” - unfortunately, the efficiencies that they choose nearly always make the service worse, because they don’t discuss the effects with the right people.

Well we knew that. Pick the low hanging fruit and leave the stuff in the "hard to do" tray until later. Much later. Meanwhile the surgery lists get longer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

I am glad that 14 MHKs voted for this bill, it should have been all sorted out in June and the Bishop got rid of then.    [...] I cannot find any mention of who voted for and who for against anywhere.  

Even if the June motion had been passed there would have to be a Bill introduced to the Keys to actually put the change in law. so it didn't actually make any difference.  All the June motion did was to 'test the water'.

Unless a journalist took down names, it will be a while before we get names of who voted, but in the previous thread on the topic I pointed out that an amendment to Faragher's motion that removed just the Bishop's vote (as this Bill does) won by 14-10 in the Keys, so there's a good chance that it will be mostly the same people.  The 14 were:

• Allinson
  • Ashford
  • Barber
  • Caine
  • Corlett
  • Crookall
  • Faragher
  • Haywood
  • Hooper
  • Maltby
  • Peters
  • Poole Wilson
  • Watterson
  • Thomas

But this still all seems to me to be virtue-signalling when the real reform needed is to directly elect LegCo, a topic nobody seems to be raising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to my computation, these are the people who voted to keep the bishop:

Callister
Cannan
Christian
Edge
Glover
Lord-Brennan
Smith
Wannenbrugh
Woodhouse

Moorhouse

I wonder what the people who elected them think about that.

Edited:

Must try harder....

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Callister - Granny Farming
Cannan - too scared to change tradition 
Christian - clue in the surname 
Edge - useless 
Glover - refer to Edge 
Lord-Brennan - Did what Alf told her
Smith - Ridiculous Religitard God Bothering nobody 
Wannenbrugh - probably planning an Ecumenical Sports Club Dinner 
Woodhouse

Moorhouse - Seagull loving red faced timewaster

Some facts / or not above 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

According to my computation, these are the people who voted to keep the bishop:

Callister
Cannan
Christian
Edge
Glover
Lord-Brennan
Smith
Wannenbrugh
Woodhouse

Moorhouse

I wonder what the people who elected them think about that.

Edited:

Must try harder....

Try harder? What, to agree with you about something they fundamentally believe in? I voted for the motion, but I feel absolutely no animosity towards anyone who voted against it.