House of Keys December 5th 2023

Moghrey Mie

3 hours ago, code99 said:

I take your point.

One thing to bear in mind though is that having two legislative chambers is not necessary – about half of world’s independent jurisdictions are unicameral (single chamber). Whilst some would argue that the UK is on the skids, for example, Finland is a unicameral republic and the (allegedly) happiest country in the world. Incidentally, New Zealand has one legislative chamber too. As the old maxim states, it is “quality and not quantity” that ultimately matters most.

Yes good counter argument thank you. Especially when you look at just how little work they are doing for the money. And I mean actually required not perceived gravy train at al. That c. £400k could do a lot of good in the right hands. 

https://www.tynwald.org.im/about-us/legislative-council

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Putting it crudely, there's no point in having someone in the pissing contest if they can't piss. It's meaningless.

As I said, if you're getting to get rid of one on the basis that it's not democratic then LegCo as a whole must go. Either they all stay or they all go.: 

That's a fair point, there is no point in just removing the bishop's vote without removing him too, I'd be all for that. Might be a bit too radical for the Keys though, they don't like charge.

I agree with getting rid of legco too - mainly because I don't think it would make any difference at all and would save a fortune.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's a fair point, there is no point in just removing the bishop's vote without removing him too, I'd be all for that. Might be a bit too radical for the Keys though, they don't like charge.

I agree with getting rid of legco too - mainly because I don't think it would make any difference at all and would save a fortune.

But LegCo scrutinises Keys legislation, and members sit on most boards and committees. They answer to nobody. Do you really want to give Keys unfettered powers?

Asking for a friend who might be persuaded to launch a bloodless coup and become Benevolent Dictator for Life!

Edited by Stu Peters
Slow brain
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

But LegCo scrutinises Keys legislation, and members sit on most boards and committees. They answer to nobody. Do you really want to give Keys unfettered powers?

Asking for a friend who might be persuaded to launch a bloodless coup and become Benevolent Dictator for Life!

Yeah I know the theory Stu. The older I get though the more I truly believe that nothing will really make any difference as far as Manx politics goes. There are far too many people being paid far too much - meaningful change will never happen.

It makes absolutely no difference who is elected - I admire a few who are but even they make no difference. If legco were gone tomorrow it would make no difference. We'd still have plenty of politicians who were out for themselves.

Look at the fundamental things that have affected our lives recently, the cost of living crisis, the housing crisis, Brexit, the rapidly failing health service. What have any of our vast mob of politicians done about any of it? SFA that's what. 

I'll tell you the difference it would make if you got rid of legco, most of the keys and the Governor tomorrow - no bloody difference at all. What it would do is save a small fortune, which would also make no bloody difference as the ones who were left would have it wasted in no time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Yes. Because we at least can vote them in and vote them out. They should sack the whole lot of third rate Legco moochers.