Isle Take a Stand

Andy Onchan

Just now, Kopek said:

Who doesn't these days??? I do. Although I still only text and call!!!!

To be fair, you can buy smartphones to suit all budgets, both new and used. There are some people who have top of the range ‘tech’, whether they can afford it is another matter. 

16 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I reckon they’ve got a TV too and maybe a radio. Also they might own a car. 

What a fckn ridiculous comment. 

They talk about “basic living” 

Well to me that means being able to have a roof over their head, keep warm and feed themselves. And I am all  for that. Government should make sure that is available for all.

Car ownership is not a given. Yes it would be good to live in a society where everyone has the means to buy one. But it’s hardly a requirement of “ basic living”

You are probably too young to remember but there was a time when many people couldn’t afford a TV so they didn’t have one. To you may may seem fckn ridiculous but that was the reality. 

What used to be luxuries have now become your basics.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They talk about “basic living” 

Well to me that means being able to have a roof over their head, keep warm and feed themselves. And I am all  for that. Government should make sure that is available for all.

Car ownership is not a given. Yes it would be good to live in a society where everyone has the means to buy one. But it’s hardly a requirement of “ basic living”

You are probably too young to remember but there was a time when many people couldn’t afford a TV so they didn’t have one. To you may may seem fckn ridiculous but that was the reality. 

What used to be luxuries have now become your basics.

What's the point of any of it if we're not making life better for future generations than it was for us?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ian rush said:

Trying to be neutral and leaving aside the shitness of Government, a lot of what they ask for is more and better ongoing services for normal things, but that will come at a cost, assuming we can recruit at all.
More tax, vicar?

It will have to be stealth taxes as usual as to bite the bullet and increase tax would be the death knell for the island. Mind you the way they are going it might be Hobsons choice between the death by a thousand cuts and biting the bullet !

Edited by asitis

6 hours ago, HeliX said:

What's the point of any of it if we're not making life better for future generations than it was for us?

+1. We are supposed to be moving forward as a society; it's all too obvious that society is moving backwards here, primarily economically-driven.

People talk about the "latest smartphones" but they forget that in this technological world we are expected to be connected. Bank branches are closing hand over fist because we're all expected to do our business online. Employers expect you to carry a phone to be contactable and not many of them supply one for the purpose. Bills and invoices arrive by email, unless you want to pay extra for paper.

Unless you want to stump up for MT'S extortionate rates for domestic connection, phones aren't a luxury, they are now an essential part of life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ian rush said:

Trying to be neutral and leaving aside the shitness of Government, a lot of what they ask for is more and better ongoing services for normal things, but that will come at a cost, assuming we can recruit at all.
More tax, vicar?

According to the front page of last week's Examiner, over 100 new staff recruited by Govt in the last 6 months.

Recruitment doesn't appear to be an issue, provision of services does.

• Thanks 1

Every IOM job link on LinkedIn that’s come up in my feed this week has been IOMG. Not one private sector role being pushed but at least 10 roles with IOMG. It’s almost like they’re the only employer in the IOM. 

35 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Every IOM job link on LinkedIn that’s come up in my feed this week has been IOMG. Not one private sector role being pushed but at least 10 roles with IOMG. It’s almost like they’re the only employer in the IOM. 

I know people quote the Tory ethos of Government, but this is more like rampant communism !

• Like 2

Bright, electric Pink, Orange or Purple dyed hair, along with light blue eye shadow used to mark out recent East European immigrants! *** They seem to have caught up with modern fashion now!

***... and the women were nearly as bad??? 😀

• Haha 2