Chamber of Commerce out of control?

NoTailT

So, Chamber of Commerce pissed off out of the Eagle Labs and it shut after they had over £300k out of the starship enterprise to run the place for the past however many years.

The well went dry, they pulled out and are now setting up a new coworking and collaboration space - in partnership with the starship enterprise - https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-business/chamber-of-commerce-moves-to-new-hq/

Are they really going to go and fit out a new space in a new building when THEIR old Eagle Labs is literally sat there ready to go? Oh wait, DFE cant give them more money in he same building.

Is the IOM Chamber of Commerce officially off its rocker? I'd love to know if anyone has actually had any benefit of the Chamber other than attending some gladrag wine and pizza evenings?

Edited by NoTailT

The CoC is a joke organisation so this I hardly surprising. I’d say the main reason why Eagle Labs failed is its association with the CoC. How many other Eagle Labs have failed in the UK?

Only what I've heard through the typical chat, but Chamber did want to let the premises but they wouldn't let it to them. Hence why they've gone up the hill. 

Personally I don't have any confidence in Chamber. I can't think of any businesses who have specifically benefited from their involvement and don't have any confidence in the person in charge as being influential in any manner. They're all very nice people, but I wouldn't have any of them in charge of any position of responsibility, as I don't see what they bring to the table. 

Their events are also too sporadic and lacking any sort of structure. The fact they think it's right to interrupt their networking mornings for 15 minutes of announcements shows they haven't the first idea how to provide a conduit to conversation. 

Eagle Labs was probably the first co-working space that seemed to work.  (Capital International tried it about 10 years ago when they moved into their new building and they left a floor empty for it, but I think they went too high end and were too early).  However now it seems there are few of them around and I've heard mutterings of others being planned.  I've got to wonder if there is the demand for all of them.

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Eagle Labs was probably the first co-working space that seemed to work.  (Capital International tried it about 10 years ago when they moved into their new building and they left a floor empty for it, but I think they went too high end and were too early).  However now it seems there are few of them around and I've heard mutterings of others being planned.  I've got to wonder if there is the demand for all of them.

Like anything, I guess it comes down to how many of them there actually are and what they offer that makes them different. 

It's going to be hard to beat the Santander one. Free is always the best price. I'm going to guess this is only if they're allowed to try to sell you Santander services. The bizarre thing is, most of those who work there won't be able to get a business account at Santander.

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Like anything, I guess it comes down to how many of them there actually are and what they offer that makes them different. 

It's going to be hard to beat the Santander one. Free is always the best price. I'm going to guess this is only if they're allowed to try to sell you Santander services. The bizarre thing is, most of those who work there won't be able to get a business account at Santander.

Very true. Revolut seem to be clearing up the market for new small business accounts. No need to beg and plead with them to take your business. 

The Santander cafe is pretty decent for one of these spaces. Much better than the eagle labs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

The bizarre thing is, most of those who work there won't be able to get a business account at Santander.

2 minutes ago, HeteroErectus said:

Very true. Revolut seem to be clearing up the market for new small business accounts. No need to beg and plead with them to take your business. 

The Santander cafe is pretty decent for one of these spaces. Much better than the eagle labs.

Was about to say the same.  No local businesses can realistically get and operate an account locally anymore.  Thank you FSA! 

Revolut seem to be on it now.  It's not so long ago they couldn't do IOM business accounts.  Seems they actually listened and we pro-active.  

I actually had a very slight issue with them on a personal account payment earlier this week.  It was solved same day via a responsive online chat with them.  I was genuinely impressed. 

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

Revolut now have a young guy representing them on the Isle of Man, so definitely pro-active. 

Still slight concerns with their overall security but seems ok, in the main. 

Really?  They have a local rep?

You got his details you could pass on?  I've got a client needing to sort a Revolut account shortly. 

42 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Only what I've heard through the typical chat, but Chamber did want to let the premises but they wouldn't let it to them. Hence why they've gone up the hill. 

Personally I don't have any confidence in Chamber. I can't think of any businesses who have specifically benefited from their involvement and don't have any confidence in the person in charge as being influential in any manner. They're all very nice people, but I wouldn't have any of them in charge of any position of responsibility, as I don't see what they bring to the table. 

Their events are also too sporadic and lacking any sort of structure. The fact they think it's right to interrupt their networking mornings for 15 minutes of announcements shows they haven't the first idea how to provide a conduit to conversation. 

My understanding is that the lease for the Eagle Labs was always to CoC and this is the only way DFE could throw money at it.

An administrator as the CEO with no vision other than boosting her own ego.

I'd love to know how much starship are throwing at this new setup.

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

The santander one at the old Noa bakehouse seems popular and well used