Are Manx Telecom ageist?

Oh Mona

Manx Telecom only installed fibre to an elderly persons complex forcing residents to have to pay extra to have a landline. Not all elderly people can use smart phones.

Add to that the extra for a paper bill because not all old people can use computers means elderly hard-up pensioners are hardest hit.

BT is in the course of ripping out copper landlines and replacing with "Digital Voice". This is ongoing and is meant to be compete by 2025.

Manx Telecom may also be thinking along the same lines. A copper landline will therefore need replacing with fibre or wireless.

Who pays for this?

Can a person keep their landline number?

Who pays for the replacement telephone and broadband router?

What will the new facilities cost? (Presume there will be a price increase)

I have not heard anything mentioned on this from MT. I think it is only MT which has copper landline phones, others have voip and wireless solutions (and you cannot keep your existing number)

2 hours ago, Oh Mona said:

Manx Telecom only installed fibre to an elderly persons complex forcing residents to have to pay extra to have a landline. Not all elderly people can use smart phones.

Add to that the extra for a paper bill because not all old people can use computers means elderly hard-up pensioners are hardest hit.

Its 2023.

Copper and traditional landline are old tech.  People who still want a phone in their house/flat just bet a VOIP handset attach it to their fibre and as far as anyone can tell its still an old landline.

There is no issue here.  It’s just like turning off analogue TV when something new and better replaces it.

I don't think MT are ageist at all. They treat all their customers like shit, even the young ones.

You reap what you sow though. Thatcher's capitalism has come back to bite us on the ass big time. Prices are through the roof and customer service a distant memory. All that matters these days if a few fat cats making loads of money.

Sure fibre is cheaper than MT but does anyone have experience of the Sure system?

I presume that MT would lay the line.

The price of fibre is more than the old  copper but you lose the landline and still have to pay a higher price.

Pay more for half the service!!!

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Sure fibre is cheaper than MT but does anyone have experience of the Sure system?

The price of fibre is more than the old  copper but you lose the landline and still have to pay a higher price.

Total rip off. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kopek said:

MT offer supply router and extender - with replacement should they become faulty.

Sure is cheaper, but I think you buy the router and extender if needed.  If they fail after the warranty you have to buy a new one.  That's what is was when I looked it up.  Don't know if it has changed since then.  

If you want to make Landline VOIP calls you need another bit of kit and at an extra price, and buy the phone for each (again, when I looked it up).

I don't make GSM calls much these days.  Just use the mobile for messenger/whatsapp calls via the fibre broadband.

• Thanks 1

It's 2023.

If old people want a landline they can get talk over fibre for as low at £9.87 a month with no internet access (with a whopping connection charge).

https://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/home-phone/talk-over-fibre/

There's no point in putting in copper lines when they're old tech that few people use now and will be expensive to maintain.

• Thanks 1