Are Manx Telecom ageist?

Oh Mona

7 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I am sure I read that all the copper lines were to be replaced with fibre in a couple of years and then they had to have a rethink because some farms or houses in isolated spots would have to spend thousands to install fibre.   

They were recently congratulating themselves on installing it at Kate’s Cottage (when you still can’t get it in most of Onchan)

People who chose to live in remote spots should expect to have to pay a lot to be hooked up, but the government have subsidised them 

22 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

£96 a month here though isn’t it?

If its £55 then I am in

£75 for a fixed connection.

But there’s a multi location package for €85. If I could configure my system to work here and Spain on one subscription I’d be quids in.

7 hours ago, Oh Mona said:

Manx Telecom only installed fibre to an elderly persons complex forcing residents to have to pay extra to have a landline. Not all elderly people can use smart phones.

Add to that the extra for a paper bill because not all old people can use computers means elderly hard-up pensioners are hardest hit.

I understand that there are options available to make calls over fibre without a landline: https://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/home-phone/talk-over-fibre/#:~:text=If you've got fibre,to pay for a landline!

Indeed there are options Albert but the point I was making above is that........... with copper you had broadband AND a landline, with fibre you only have broadband unless you pay extra for a handset.

Yet yopu pay £10 more for fibre yet lose the landline!!!

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Indeed there are options Albert but the point I was making above is that........... with copper you had broadband AND a landline, with fibre you only have broadband unless you pay extra for a handset.

Price of progress I suppose. In theory the price of fibre should decrease after they get rid of most of the copper and not have to pay as many people to maintain it. But as MT is a monopoly, any such reduction will not happen. So I understand your pain.

On the other hand, also remember that a few minutes call to outside the UK used to cost the equivalent of around £40 or £50 (in today's money) in the 1970/80s - and calls to the UK were also much more expensive than local calls. Do it right and keeping touch with people all around the world these days is much cheaper....and for as long as you want.

The real killer prices these days are on mobile and roaming charges. Do you know that many UK mobile tariffs won't even let you ring a Manx mobile? I was roaming with Sure a few weeks back - and they charged me £18 for a 14-min call to a UK insurance company (ordinary number). The Manx government are allowing MT and Sure to kill Manx business using mobiles on the island - businesses that have probably had potential customers trying to ring but they can't with many UK mobile providers. Obfuscation (the action of making something obscure, unclear, or unintelligible) - are MT and Sure's modus operandi.

If the island is to do well, its basic telecommunication links to the world need to be sorted properly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Huge numbers of people these days don’t want a landline.  Its perfect that they don’t pay for one, and that those who do want to have one pay extra.

''... Its perfect that they don’t pay for one....''.

....but they are paying more/extra for a reduced service over fibre???

Sure you can get a fibre broadband and do without your old landline but you are still paying more for your telephone service????

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Does the Communication Commission still exist? Do they have 'Balls' to take on MT?

The mobile/roaming links are down to MT surely?

It's in MT's interests to keep things as they are - not the public's. The government are both weak and too thick to understand how things can be bettered. 

• Like 2

The cheapest MT fibre @ £57.60 / month for a measly limited 30mbps is a fucking joke. I've heard of ridiculous 'connect to property' costs as well.

I get consistent 60mbps over copper for £37 so there's just no urgency for me to upgrade.

Screenshot-2023-12-09-at-21-54-42.png

Then weep when you compare to UK prices https://fibrecompare.com/superfast-broadband?vid=ldq7b-05uau

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But the 30 mbs speed is less that the copper of 40 mbs for the similar price??? The diffetrence in speeds is , no doubt, down to MT electing to make this difference, this can only be to persuade people to move up a grade and price point on the fibre options?

MT are using phycological warfare to persuade people to move up a grade on fibre lest they miss out on a download speed  that they had before on copper???

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

But the 30 mbs speed is less that the copper of 40 mbs for the similar price??? The diffetrence in speeds is , no doubt, down to MT electing to make this difference, this can only be to persuade people to move up a grade and price point on the fibre options?

MT are using phycological warfare to persuade people to move up a grade on fibre lest they miss out on a download speed  that they had before on copper???

Yes devious robbing bastards.