Are Manx Telecom ageist?

Oh Mona

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Neither is broadband, but I guess they used it for telecoms too. 

They've had tens of millions of taxpayer cash to install it. Them and only them.

Comparison to cable TV is a poor one - we don't have cable TV on the island, it causes no problems. Imagine if we didn't have broadband.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They've had tens of millions of taxpayer cash to install it. Them and only them.

Comparison to cable TV is a poor one - we don't have cable TV on the island, it causes no problems. Imagine if we didn't have broadband.

How many “tens of millions” have they had?

Do you work for the Daily Mail?

4 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

No do you?

Original contract was ten million, they were also given millions on top of that to speed it up when COVID came along (without any apparent conditions) .

A significant public investment - yet they still can't be arsed doing a good job or sorting out the mess they created last time they installed something to your house.

It's a complete racket.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

No do you?

Original contract was ten million, they were also given millions on top of that to speed it up when COVID came along (without any apparent conditions) .

A significant public investment - yet they still can't be arsed doing a good job or sorting out the mess they created last time they installed something to your house.

It's a complete racket.

So when you say “tens of millions” it can’t be evidenced beyond exactly ten million pounds?

Thick as planks 

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

So when you say “tens of millions” it can’t be evidenced beyond exactly ten million pounds?

Thick as planks 

It can be evidenced well past ten million, but it doesn't suit your rhetoric.

You think I'm thick, I'm not the one employed to throw fibre into people's houses like Stevie Wonder. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CrazyDave said:

I don’t work for telecom.

Evidence “tens of millions”

It's a matter of public record, evidence it yourself - or evidence against it if you prefer.

Come on now, no need to be modest, I've seen some of your work. I don't like MT but I think it's good they'll give someone like you a chance.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

I've also seen cards from MT being posted out to people saying that copper is end of service and they should upgrade now. Although this isn't supposed to happen until 2025 I'm led to believe.

Edit to add: someone posted this on FB - lots of elderly or non-aware are going to fall for this, IMO its pretty bad form

407735710-10231685162013333-196411209805

It bears a striking resemblance to all the stuff that comes in the couple of dozen or so emails I delete from my Junk Folder every day.  We seem to be entering an era when it is becoming impossible to distinguish between what large companies produce and scammers.  Not because the scammers are getting cleverer but because the companies seem to be using the same tactics.

• Like 2

For better or worse, copper is going.

Fibre doesn't corrode, uses less power and isn't subject to interference in the same way. The last bit means you aren't stuck with slow internet based on your distance from the exchange.

You can also 'tap' it in the way the old party lines were. So, you're running one fibre optic cable where you had a number of phone lines.

At some point, every copper line will fail due to age or tractors. As it gets phased out, the gear to support copper will also become harder to get hold of and maintain.

Conspiracy theorists over the water claim it's so Government can control communication, not realising that it's all digital in the middle, and that they've been able to turn it off to stop people communicating for half a century or more. Plus, that exists for mobiles too.

11 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Second large tranche was actually 10 million (can't recall how much the first was).

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-business/manx-telecom-awarded-10-million-govt-broadband-contract/

MT is the wholesaler of the islands only public comms service upto your curtilage (I think that's how it's described).

Edited by Andy Onchan

In the UK if there is no duct, they just put a load of poles up without people moaning too much. If there is a short underground run on estates, the UK providers usually send their own civils teams and absorb the cost under excessive construction costs (up to 1k) but it’s not a fully ducted solution, it’s blown fibre down a microduct which can be laid much shallower than normal duct or clipped to a garden wall.

There are still some properties in the UK where openreach or other providers have simply said they won’t connect full fibre due to the civils costs which would be passed to the property owner - this seems to be the IOM position.

Pretty sure most providers using the homes past model have done the same due to years (historically) of property developers burying cables rather than ducting them as directed in the services guidance. 

12 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes it is more reliable, if installed correctly, big if.

It user more power at the house, less at the exchange - so it uses less of MT's power.

You could argue it's easier to get right, either you get the blinking light at the end of the fibre or you don't.

It uses less power overall though. By a fair margin. Most folks won't notice the extra 5 watts.

• Like 1