Are Manx Telecom ageist?

Oh Mona

15 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

In the UK if there is no duct, they just put a load of poles up without people moaning too much.

That's nonsense. If you go to Scotland you'll hardly see a pole, if you do it will be in the middle of nowhere, they've had pretty much everything underground for decades.

Why? Because it's much more reliable and looks a lot better.

Despite the taxpayer stumping up long millions for this network, MT are actually wanting to install telegraph poles even where existing lines are underground, Ballacriy Park, Ballamilligan estates to name a couple. 

Why you might ask - if it's far less reliable and looks so much worse? Because it's cheaper, that's the only reason. If you were expecting a good job for the millions we have paid for this network you'll be disappointed, MT's profits are the main priority.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's nonsense. If you go to Scotland you'll hardly see a pole, if you do it will be in the middle of nowhere, they've had pretty much everything underground for decades.

Why? Because it's much more reliable and looks a lot better.

Despite the taxpayer stumping up long millions for this network, MT are actually wanting to install telegraph poles even where existing lines are underground, Ballacriy Park, Ballamilligan estates to name a couple. 

Why you might ask - if it's far less reliable and looks so much worse? Because it's cheaper, that's the only reason. If you were expecting a good job for the millions we have paid for this network you'll be disappointed, MT's profits are the main priority.

The last sentence I agree with. As for Scotland there are still a lot of areas where only 3G is available, particularly on the northwest and northern coastal towns. Probably the best overall coverage is Northern Ireland. 

On 12/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, swoopy2110 said:

It's 2023.

If old people want a landline they can get talk over fibre for as low at £9.87 a month with no internet access (with a whopping connection charge).

https://www.manxtelecom.com/personal/home-phone/talk-over-fibre/

There's no point in putting in copper lines when they're old tech that few people use now and will be expensive to maintain.

That is roughly double the low rate tariff over copper. I only have my land line for two reasons. Firstly, many people know the number as I have had it for nearly four decades. Secondly, regardless of where my mobile is, I know exactly where my land line phone is in case of an emergency. 
If I cannot keep my number, there is even less reason to have a land line. If they come to install fibre to my house, they can do so to the box outside. Not required inside. 

On 12/11/2023 at 7:33 PM, immortalpuppet said:

Pretty sure most providers using the homes past model have done the same due to years (historically) of property developers burying cables rather than ducting them as directed in the services guidance. 

MT are as guilty of this as any developer. In my experience almost all property developers will get MT in to install lines to the houses, I've never seen a property developer install a telephone cable or fibre outside a house.

Along our road MT came along and buried the fibre directly in the ground, not a duct in sight. The funniest thing is, they then insist homeowners pay to put a duct in from the road to their house.

Don't get me wrong, most property developers leave a lot to be desired, but to blame them for the rough state of MT's copper network is rubbish, the blame for that lies squarely with MT, as it will with the fibre network they are currently throwing in.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, immortalpuppet said:

Fibre cables have not got the structural integrity to be buried as the cable will crush under the weight and light would be lost. If the cables were buried without duct, the people in your area would not have a working Fibre solution. 

To protect it from damage.  Physical and environmental.

Diggers, movement, rodents ..

Fibre cable will crush at about 21.9 kN/m

On 12/13/2023 at 12:39 AM, immortalpuppet said:

Fibre cables have not got the structural integrity to be buried as the cable will crush under the weight and light would be lost. If the cables were buried without duct, the people in your area would not have a working Fibre solution. 

Absolute nonsense.

Google direct burial fibre optic cable and educate yourself. There are several manufacturers make the stuff, especially for cowboy outfits like MT.

44 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

Not the type of cables that are being used on the Island.

Where is the street you claim the Fibre is buried? 

They direct buried miles of the stuff in the grass verges. Miles of faults just waiting to happen. If the taxpayer think they're getting reliability for their multi-million pound investment they're going to be disappointed.