Stage Lighting

Two-lane

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I can remember Robin Gibb being a tad annoyed at the Villa sound system as far back as the noughties, it's always been cheap crap. In fact the whole set up there is creaking and relying on worn out laptops and bollocks. The fact is, it's run by a government department and suffers from the all the usual unhelpfulness and take it or leave it attitudes! 

I don’t doubt what you’re saying. In true IOMG fashion, they like to dick wave about their world class, world beating facilities, and especially how IOMG is so technically minded, and have IT expertise. 

If the Robin Gibb incident was pre 2004, the Villa was using the Palace Lido's old sound rig in the Royal Hall, which was mostly a load of EV knock-offs. Not great. The refit at least brought a concert standard system into the venue, but it's showing its age now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NoTail said:

Putting aside the quality or otherwise of the current sound system  I ask myself if is a central government responsibility to pay for a concert hall at all?

For the first time this Government has spent money on something other than getting re-elected. We all know money is needed in Education, Health and all the other Departments.  But I would rather see this money spent on this, than given to boost some large house developer margins, more admin civil servants in health, building a swimming pool for twelve people. 

8 hours ago, NoTail said:

I ask myself if is a central government responsibility to pay for a concert hall at all

Very few theatres make a profit. So if you want the facilities then yes.

But of course we could pump the money into the Manx Care black hole. The thing with healthcare is that there’s never enough staff or baby incubators or whatever. That’s not a criticism of Manx Care either.

12 hours ago, Cambon said:

Big, decent shows always have their own lights and sound. Any changes made will not impact really big shows. 

Utter bullshit. Virtually all acts from off island depend on using the in-house PA and lighting, as do promoters to keep costs down, which in turn aims to try to keep ticket prices affordable.

10 hours ago, loaf said:

If the Robin Gibb incident was pre 2004, the Villa was using the Palace Lido's old sound rig in the Royal Hall, which was mostly a load of EV knock-offs. Not great. The refit at least brought a concert standard system into the venue, but it's showing its age now.

I'm told that some equipment is not repairable as parts are no longer available. 

As usual, the usual bunch of keyboard warrior experts are having a crack here. If I may, some straight facts having spoken to a number of the people at the coal face.

Yes, the £1.6M could have been given to say the health service. But in reality, we all know it wouldn’t solve or fix anything. It’s a mere drop in the ocean.

The bald and plan truth however is that the equipment in the Villa in particular is 20 years old, inefficient and technically past its end of life. It’s only due to the dedication of the tech team who keep patching it up that any shows have been happening for the past 4 years. 

In addition, contrary to some of the misleading crap being spoken in Tynwald yesterday - this is commercially used equipment and needs to be built and capable of delivering professional level results - not only for bands and comedians brought over, but also by the several hundred other private events - functions, conferences etc that use these buildings week in week out.

If the investment wasn’t made, these venues would effectively go what is known as “Dark”, meaning EVERYONE using it would need to buy, bring or hire all of their own equipment and technical staff. This would result in two things happening simultaneously-1) all the decent UK/overseas acts would be very reluctant to come and 2) those that did would see a supplement of £10++ being added to each ticket, then who would moan? This investment of £1.6m however is basically 10p for every person using these venues over the next 10 years. 

If you don’t think it’s right to spend the money take a look in the UK at the number of towns that have lost their live music venues..would you rather we were like that? 

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

As usual, the usual bunch of keyboard warrior experts are having a crack here. If I may, some straight facts having spoken to a number of the people at the coal face.

Yes, the £1.6M could have been given to say the health service. But in reality, we all know it wouldn’t solve or fix anything. It’s a mere drop in the ocean.

The bald and plan truth however is that the equipment in the Villa in particular is 20 years old, inefficient and technically past its end of life. It’s only due to the dedication of the tech team who keep patching it up that any shows have been happening for the past 4 years. 

In addition, contrary to some of the misleading crap being spoken in Tynwald yesterday - this is commercially used equipment and needs to be built and capable of delivering professional level results - not only for bands and comedians brought over, but also by the several hundred other private events - functions, conferences etc that use these buildings week in week out.

If the investment wasn’t made, these venues would effectively go what is known as “Dark”, meaning EVERYONE using it would need to buy, bring or hire all of their own equipment and technical staff. This would result in two things happening simultaneously-1) all the decent UK/overseas acts would be very reluctant to come and 2) those that did would see a supplement of £10++ being added to each ticket, then who would moan? This investment of £1.6m however is basically 10p for every person using these venues over the next 10 years. 

If you don’t think it’s right to spend the money take a look in the UK at the number of towns that have lost their live music venues..would you rather we were like that? 

Spot on and the cost is for both venues I understand?