Guernsey votes to bin off its senior leaders

Cueey Lewis And The News

A motion of no confidence in Guernsey's Policy and Resources (P&R) Committee has today been approved by politicians.

Makes you wonder if we’d ever do something as democratic?

https://gef.im/news/politics/guernseys-gov-collapses-43329/

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2023-12-13/new-government-for-guernsey-after-top-politicians-ousted-in-confidence-vote#

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-67691280

Opening the debate, Deputy Charles Parkinson - who called for the vote - said Guernsey needs "less divisive leadership" and a "vision to prioritise sustainable economic growth". He said he has been embarrassed by the "shambles" demonstrated, accusing the current P&R members of "promoting division, procrastination and inaction".

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News
Edited to add extra links.
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Imagine Comin being able to disband a Scrutiny Committee!!!

Meanwhile here the best they can do is some sad arsehole trying to drop the CM in the shit with the police and failing miserably with hilarious results. It looks like Guernsey politicians at least have the guts for a fight. The CM gone and a lot of his senior team in a vote immediately after they all had their lovely Xmas lunch. A bit like the last supper.

11 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Meanwhile here the best they can do is some sad arsehole trying to drop the CM in the shit with the police and failing miserably with hilarious results. It looks like Guernsey politicians at least have the guts for a fight. The CM gone and a lot of his senior team in a vote immediately after they all had their lovely Xmas lunch. A bit like the last supper.

You speak with such authority on how the CM became embroiled in a situation .. are you the CM? there were witnesses you know.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, daisy said:

You speak with such authority on how the CM became embroiled in a situation .. are you the CM? there were witnesses you know.

Yes it’s all a conspiracy

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/chief-minister-refutes-drink-drive-speculation-654727

12 minutes ago, daisy said:

Of course he refutes it ...carefully crafted press release as you would expect .... but as mentioned previously there are real live witnesses. 

Those witnesses have already made written submissions and statements to the police then I assume. 

2 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Those witnesses have already made written submissions and statements to the police then I assume. 

Reality and perception can be quite different. In such things assumptions should not be made - one way or the other,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daisy said:

Reality and perception can be quite different. In such things assumptions should not be made - one way or the other,

But surely with so many claimed witnesses they’ve all now trotted off to the cops now that they’re so angry about a cover up to make formal witness statements to back up what they claim they saw so that it can all be investigated. Otherwise all the claims would just be conspiracy wouldn’t they? 

Anyway there was a big vote of no confidence in Guernsey today where senior government ministers got a right beating. Is that ever likely to happen here? 

Just now, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

But surely with so many claimed witnesses they’ve all now trotted off to the cops now that they’re so angry about a cover up to make formal witness statements to back up what they claim they saw so that it can all be investigated. Otherwise all the claims would just be conspiracy wouldn’t they? 

Anyway there was a big vote of no confidence in Guernsey today where senior government ministers got a right beating. Is that ever likely to happen here? 

Your definition of conspiracy is different to mine.  Will vote of no confidence happen here?  I dont know... a straw poll would be interesting

53 minutes ago, daisy said:

Your definition of conspiracy is different to mine.  Will vote of no confidence happen here?  I dont know... a straw poll would be interesting

As much as I would like a vote of no confidence, it’s a real case of be careful for what you wish for. If you oust CM Cannan, who do you elect? Allinson? Professor Ashford? Hooperman? 

Would there be a shift in priorities? I doubt it, it would carry off from before - bash the Bishop. Our politicos would find another axe to grind. CM Cannan is in all fairness, a spent force, rather ineffective and tired. He will muddle through till the next general election. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

f you oust CM Cannan, who do you elect? Allinson? Professor Ashford? Hooperman? 

Well, though one! As well as Allinson, there is a possibility of Wannaburg, KLB may certainly be put forward, Poole Wilson as a possibility, Watterson could decide his experience could be better than waiting for the Presidents robes and then he would seek to scrap thePresidents role in spite???

Of course, Alf will likely hang on till the next GE and, I suspect that he will not contest that, so maybe, just maybe there may be front runner from the first time elected???

Last time there was Cannan, Thomas and Beecroft! Although then, I supported Thomas he has turned out to be a bit of a wet lettuce!!!

35 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Last time there was Cannan, Thomas and Beecroft! Although then, I supported Thomas he has turned out to be a bit of a wet lettuce!!!

No wonder he did so badly, given that he didn't stand - and Beecroft/Costain wasn't even an MHK.  Here's the actual vote in 2021:

image.png.1a24b5e98ff62984db14e15b1caff6bf.png

Cannan and Beecroft stood in 2016 against Quayle.

• Like 2