Expansion of Manx territorial waters

Shake me up Judy

9 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Anyone know what's behind all this ? It seems to be the renewable energy lobby. Did it go through the correct legislative stages ? A member of LegCo got it through the Keys. I didn't know they could do that.

It hasn't  been legislated yet. 

From the news report:

"It states that the Island and the UK agreed an extension of Manx territorial sea to 12 miles in 1991, in exchange for £800,000 and the cessation of the Continental Shelf Agreement, under which the Island received a share of petroleum licence fees and royalties in respect of the entire UK Continental Shelf."

Does anyone have some idea of how much the IoM previously received in fees and royalties in respect of the entire UK Continental Shelf?

The Readers Digest version of the Manx Radio interview is that wind farms are going to be installed in the Irish Sea close to the coast of the IoM (and will look as ugly as hell). So if they are going to be installed it would be better that the IoM gets the income.

Why did the Council of Ministers oppose this?

This has been a well researched subject, I don't think Nigel was a tub thumping nationalist! ''Give us our seas''!!! There must be some background to this that makes it a reasonable question. Historical questions, the fairness or our innocence in past negotiations to reach the conclusion that this should be looked at again in view of the 'new' industry of off shore wind generation, not really on the radar in the past?

Are Paul and Phil Craine brothers?

11 hours ago, Two-lane said:

From the news report:

"It states that the Island and the UK agreed an extension of Manx territorial sea to 12 miles in 1991, in exchange for £800,000 and the cessation of the Continental Shelf Agreement, under which the Island received a share of petroleum licence fees and royalties in respect of the entire UK Continental Shelf."

Does anyone have some idea of how much the IoM previously received in fees and royalties in respect of the entire UK Continental Shelf?

Is it part of the Common Purse settlement arrangement?

I hope they don't stick a ton of windmills near to the island, I really really do like the sea view.

I am all for greener more sustainable energy, but after having been to Morecambe and other places where they have done this close to the shore, it's ugly and looks horrendous.

There was talk a while back about installing windmills on the island, on the mountain, that would be a good idea we have oodles of unused mountain. They could strike up a deal with the farmers, offering them a % paid of the total amount of electricity that the windmills generate that they sell. There is also off the coast beyond the Calf, barely anyone would notice them really, unless they were on the Calf for the day. They could probably get away with it, in the waters around the island, off the less settled parts, such as the north western end Smeal area.

5 hours ago, Chie said:

I am all for greener more sustainable energy, but after having been to Morecambe and other places where they have done this close to the shore, it's ugly and looks horrendous.

Not to mention the seabed destruction. Environmentalists my a$$... all they want is the almighty $$$$

Talking of wildlife, i was recently traveling around the Algarve, there are plenty of wind farms scattered about but i was also told by a local that people are employed just sit near them all day with binoculars and any sightings of migratory birds or large bird life activity they call in and turn them of for as long as it takes for the birds to move on. Might be a bit chilly up Earystane though. 

Just now, GreyWolf said:

Talking of wildlife, i was recently traveling around the Algarve, there are plenty of wind farms scattered about but i was also told by a local that people are employed just sit near them all day with binoculars and any sightings of migratory birds or large bird life activity they call in and turn them of for as long as it takes for the birds to move on. Might be a bit chilly up Earystane though. 

Was that in April this year? Near the very beginning of the month?