A couple of questions for IoM Post's Chairman

Katman

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

To say that it's all down to RM is to ignore the fact that the withdrawal of the "mail plane" was unexpected, it wasn't. The writing was on the wall in the early part of 2023.

Yes, and it was communicated to key business users then too. It's a 1 day delay, or at least it seems to be so far (unless ferry doesn't go, but the same was true of the plane). It's really not that big a deal for us as most people now want an email rather than a letter.

Not sure there is a case for IOMP to charter a plane of their own, probably not economically viable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Yes, and it was communicated to key business users then too. It's a 1 day delay, or at least it seems to be so far (unless ferry doesn't go, but the same was true of the plane). It's really not that big a deal for us as most people now want an email rather than a letter.

Not sure there is a case for IOMP to charter a plane of their own, probably not economically viable?

Absolutely. And think of all the carbon emissions we’re saving. You know I’m big on saving the planet or something equally virtuous, right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Absolutely. And think of all the carbon emissions we’re saving. You know I’m big on saving the planet or something equally virtuous, right?

Net zero is the civil servants wet dream. We know it’s a crap service but we’re really pleased with the really shit backward way we’re now doing all this stuff so that we can save a few carbons. It’s the best excuse ever. We’ll be back to it taking one man a week to deliver post on a pushbike or a donkey next and be marking that off as another massive success for our net zero goals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

To say that it's all down to RM is to ignore the fact that the withdrawal of the "mail plane" was unexpected, it wasn't. The writing was on the wall in the early part of 2023.

Who said the change was unexpected? It was publicly announced way back in May, when Royal Mail changed their definitions to ensure that they no longer had to guarantee next day delivery to/from the Isle of Man and Channel Islands.

But it is all on Royal Mail. The public statements, at least, suggest that RM wasn’t even open to keeping the plane if the islands subsidised the cost. They wanted the next-day requirement in their public service obligation to be gone .

Jersey and Guernsey are having the same issues as us. It’s not just the loss of the plane, it’s the fact the post has to go through more sorting offices on the UK side now, rather than just going through the massive hub at East Midlands Airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Well, as I say IOMP are not the only users of air freight. The problem is that Stu and his band of merry people think that collaborating with others is somehow beneath them. When I asked what the % of mail that was being moved by air I was accused of being a competitor.

27 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Simon Kneen, Chief Executive of IOMPO said: “Our research demonstrates that the vast majority of our customers would not be affected by the transition from aircraft to ferry, and therefore our primary focus has been to find solutions for those who might be more impacted by the change.” He stressed the importance of striking the right balance between customer needs, cost-efficiency, and environmental responsibility. Aligned to IOM Governments ‘Net-Zero’ aspirations, the shift from a dedicated aircraft to the existing ferry and road freight systems is projected to reduce CO2 emissions by over 600 tonnes annually.

Did you really believe that Stu?

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Did you really believe that Stu?

That was just IoMPO spinning that RM had made a decision that IoMPO had no say in and couldn't do a fig about - But didn't want to admit it.

But hey, the green straw is a convenient and popular one to clutch at these days.

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

That was just IoMPO spinning that RM had made a decision that IoMPO had no say in and couldn't do a fig about - But didn't want to admit it.

But hey, the green straw is a convenient and popular one to clutch at these days.

Of course I knew that Stu was only joshing but as you say, it's the lamest of excuses for doing fig all about giving their customers the best service possible.

• Like 1

I sent a package to Manchester last week via DHL. Dropped it off Thursday morning, and according to the tracking it went to Dublin, then East Midlands, and was delivered about 11am Friday morning. 

Probably not carbon neutral, and I’ve no idea how much it cost, but it shows it’s possible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Probably not carbon neutral, and I’ve no idea how much it cost, but it shows it’s possible. 

Of course it is possible - it just requires a fair amount of money.

A bit like health care. If you have the money, things get done quickly. If not, you wait a while.

(And the "I have no idea how much money I spent" was a bit amusing)