A couple of questions for IoM Post's Chairman

Katman

16 minutes ago, Casta said:

Do we know the (monetary) cost of transporting the mail by boat?

You've generally got two 40ft artic trailers a day at whatever the Steamie charge, less any discount for PO/Govt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder then, does the mail that would have gone by air fit into some spare capacity in those artics?

I realise there will be a monetary saving, but what cost is the damage to the island?

By air, mail out was superb, and the fact we were on an Island made not a jot of difference (ok, occasional delay due to fog etc). In fact in some respects we had an advantage because mail posted up to 5pm was in the Royal Mail system in Birmingham (?) by 7pm.

We will somehow have to make adjustments to that now. It's going to be difficult.

Even by air, incoming mail could be a problem and could be hit and miss.

There are just too many matters outwith our control and it will harm our business. Like being in the Outer Hebrides or a far flung Shetland island.

I am happy to see how things go, but I weep looking out from the office each time the boat trundles out of the harbour and steams it's way onto the horizon ( or not).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Casta said:

damage to the island?

Give me a break. What damage is this. So some granny letter with a fiver in is delivered an extra day later than ………..

there’s bigger shit to worry about than some packet from china getting here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Give me a break. What damage is this. So some granny letter with a fiver in is delivered an extra day later than ………..

The 'packet' is from Korea, not China

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Gizo said:

That's an interesting reaction.

There is a wee bit more to postal services than that of a grandmother sending five pounds birthday present to her grandchild or whatever 

For some business and commerce this latest move has shoved Isle of Man back into the backwater of remote islands

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Casta said:

this latest move has helped to shove Isle of Man back into the backwater of remote islands

Amended a little 💐 

All part of the bigger picture IMHO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casta said:

For some business and commerce this latest move has shoved Isle of Man back into the backwater of remote islands

But it’s always been that way. Planes not leaving. Planes not arriving. Boats not leaving. Boats not arriving. 

18 hours ago, Gizo said:

But it’s always been that way. Planes not leaving. Planes not arriving. Boats not leaving. Boats not arriving. 

For sure. I've mentioned fog preventing aircraft movement. If you will excuse me, your approach appears to be somewhat flippant and basic.

This is an important matter, at least for anyone not sending a broken tea pot or whateverto old aunt Vera for her 90th.

What is the average number days p/a that due to weather etc that aircraft is affected compared to boat? And in particular considering travel time the two are not like for like.

And what is the time for each to connect with Royal Mail hub.

Not everyone is happy to shove mail in the post box and just let traidelooar (sp? who care) take control.

What has been a thoroughly outstanding service has now taken a number of steps back. Welcome to the Isle of Man.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Casta said:

For sure. I've mentioned fog preventing aircraft movement. If you will excuse me, your approach appears to be somewhat flippant and basic.

This is an important matter, at least for anyone not sending a broken tea pot or whateverto old aunt Vera for her 90th.

What is the average number days p/a that due to weather etc that aircraft is affected compared to boat? And in particular considering travel time the two are not like for like.

And what is the time for each to connect with Royal Mail hub.

Not everyone is happy to shove mail in the post box and just let traidelooar (sp? who care) take control.

What has been a thoroughly outstanding service has now taken a number of steps back. Welcome to the Isle of Man.

Why don’t you send FOI in if you’re that interested? It’s happening everywhere, CI other areas of Uk etc, saving the planet!!

I think I will, and yes, I am that interested. I am surprised that few others are, including our politicians. Perhaps everyone else on this Island use the Post Office to just send the occasional postal order and the occasional eBay sale.

I am surprised, I really am.

I can at a push concede to the possibility of a purely financial gain (even with a huge loss of an excellent service), but saving the planet...my arse(!!!!!)

Edited by Casta
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in guaranteeing next day delivery or money back saw this posted

Special Delivery

With our guaranteed service, Special Delivery, your urgent, high value or perishable items are in safe hands. 

Special Delivery -  Next Day 

The benefits of using Special Delivery - Next Day are:

• Same day dispatch* for all items posted on a weekday via a scheduled airline
  • 9am or 1pm guarantee^
  • Full online tracking
  • Signature on delivery
  • £2500 compensation as standard for items to be posted outside the Isle of Man.
  • £50 for items to be posted within the Isle of Man
  • No minimum weight and up to 20kg maximum weight
  • Money back guarantee if your item doesn't arrive within its guaranteed time slot.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:41 AM, Casta said:

I think I will, and yes, I am that interested. I am surprised that few others are, including our politicians. Perhaps everyone else on this Island use the Post Office to just send the occasional postal order and the occasional eBay sale.

I am surprised, I really am.

I can at a push concede to the possibility of a purely financial gain (even with a huge loss of an excellent service), but saving the planet...my arse(!!!!!)

Read this post in your head using a Chrisssthh Eubank voice 😂