Digital ID

CrazyDave

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What can you do with Digital ID?

• tick.webp
    Buy age restricted items at convenience stores (excluding alcohol).
Surely being able to use it to prove your age when buying alcohol  would be one of the major selling points for young people?

So it would enable you to prove that you are of a sufficient age to purchase say tobacco, but not alcohol. Why?

Does nobody on here actually read what they are commenting on?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

What new thing?  It’s just a government release saying people might be able to use some existing apps to verify their age in some places, but they haven’t actually bothered to make sure it’s accepted everywhere before suggesting people use it.

Talk of a completely different system from 20 plus years ago that did a completely different thing is slightly confusing.

It reads to me like a government press release announcing a new service.  If it's not, it should be made clear that it's nothing to do with them.

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

What new thing?  It’s just a government release saying people might be able to use some existing apps to verify their age in some places, but they haven’t actually bothered to make sure it’s accepted everywhere before suggesting people use it.

Talk of a completely different system from 20 plus years ago that did a completely different thing is slightly confusing.

It reads to me like a government press release announcing a new service.  If it's not, it should be made clear that it's nothing to do with them.

Just now, cissolt said:

Currently, three free and user-friendly apps are accepted - from YOTI, Lloyds Bank and the UK Post Office.”

• Confused 1

Basically young people are having to carry driving licence or passport out with them to get into pubs and clubs - or getting an actual 18+ card. They then end up loosing them, or people are buying fraudulent ones off the internet. Everyone has their phone with them so makes it a lot easier. Whilst only a few places are using them, I suspect more will come on board depending on how it goes.

Slightly off topic. But I used to frequent pubs occasionally from the age of 15 and a half or so with my mates.

We knew we were there under sufferance. The landlord, and the other customers obviously knew we were underage but there was no asking for ID or anything. Not sure you could supply any such thing in 1976

As such you made sure you didn’t make a commotion and behaved yourself.

A good introduction to pub life. Rather  than perhaps  just behaving inappropriately in licensed premises on the day you turned 18 because it was then legal to buy a beer in there.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andrew said:

Basically young people are having to carry driving licence or passport out with them to get into pubs and clubs - or getting an actual 18+ card. They then end up loosing them, or people are buying fraudulent ones off the internet. Everyone has their phone with them so makes it a lot easier. Whilst only a few places are using them, I suspect more will come on board depending on how it goes.

Any evidence of the fraudulent ones from the Internet?  Always nice for a govt employee to chip in, but the claims need to be backed up.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Any evidence of the fraudulent ones from the Internet?  Always nice for a govt employee to chip in, but the claims need to be backed up.

There is loads of evidence.  A two second google will tell you.

I innocently posted an example in response to your question and the post has been deleted.

I sincerely apologise for my wrong doing.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

Anyone who is desperate enough to do fraud on their bus ticket really should have a free pass. I understand that there may be master criminals (or OCG’s as they like to call them now) who might set up mass “cheap tickets” fraud but who would buy them? Surely the busses are cheap enough as is? I quite like a bus trip, mmm I might take myself off to Peel on Friday after work (car is also slightly broken & garage busy til 05/01)

• Like 1