Digital ID

CrazyDave

10 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

There is loads of evidence.  A two second google will tell you.

I innocently posted an example in response to your question and the post has been deleted.

I sincerely apologise for my wrong doing.

We have already solved the lost driving license/passport issue for proof of age with the......proof of age card? The benefit being that it is a government issued ID card. 

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/proof-of-age-card/#:~:text=If you have been challenged,are valid for 5 years.

Digitise the current system, if that's the goal, not advertise a third party id system that's not government issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

Anyone who is desperate enough to do fraud on their bus ticket really should have a free pass. I understand that there may be master criminals (or OCG’s as they like to call them now) who might set up mass “cheap tickets” fraud but who would buy them? Surely the busses are cheap enough as is? I quite like a bus trip, mmm I might take myself off to Peel on Friday after work (car is also slightly broken & garage busy til 05/01)

Agreed.  It's a bloody bus ticket.  Do they think some drug baron is going to use it for Money Laundering?

• Haha 1

In a place I recently visited, on the (there is only one tram line there) inside roof of the tram are QR codes at intervals. The  locals get on, point their smart phone at the QR code and sit down.

I had an old-fashioned paper ticket.

As a ticket inspector walked down the tram, he pointed a device at passengers who pointed their smart phone at the device, and the ticket inspector continued on his way.

I have no idea how it works, but theoretically the tram ticket app could also record time and GPS.

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

In a place I recently visited, on the (there is only one tram line there) inside roof of the tram are QR codes at intervals. The  locals get on, point their smart phone at the QR code and sit down.

As a ticket inspector walked down the tram, he pointed a device at passengers who pointed their smart phone at the device, and the ticket inspector continued on his way.

I have no idea how it works, but theoretically the tram ticket app could also record time and GPS.

What’s the point? Just make buses free! People would use them then. Free up parking in town. Take loads of cars off the road. Less drug driving. Less congestion. No administration and accounting of fares. No brainer really. I am surprised government has not thought of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

It may be simpler and less useful than you think.  If the line is a simple flat fare then it will work, but that's not the sort of system that the buses or indeed heritage transport operate here.  Otherwise people need to register both when they get on the bus and when they get off. 

The second part is the difficult bit.  This is why London buses are flat fare, no matter how long or short the route you travel.  When they introduced Oyster cards they tried to enforce the checking out bit, but it didn't work in so many cases and they had to get rid of the existing fare structure and make it flat fare.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

What’s the point? Just make buses free! People would use them then. Free up parking in town. Take loads of cars off the road. Less drug driving. Less congestion. No administration and accounting of fares. No brainer really. I am surprised government has not thought of it.

Government?   Free?

18 hours ago, cissolt said:

So Home Affairs have endorsed a digital id and claim it can be used as proof of you are old enough to buy alcohol, but the actual app states it's can't be used for alcohol.  A fail? Or deliberate subterfuge?IMG-20231222-WA0009.thumb.jpg.05cab32de6d884fc77fb571560cb5085.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-22-17-16-13-84_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

2 hours ago, 2bees said:

How useful…

It’s not approved in UK for proving age for alcohol, but it’s been approved in IoM. Simple really.

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not approved in UK for proving age for alcohol, but it’s been approved in IoM. Simple really.

As explained in the press release:

Digital Connect ID has been approved as a convenient alternative to carrying a verified physical ID such as a passport, driving licence or proof of age card.

The Department of Home Affairs has powers under the Liquor Licensing and Public Entertainments Act 2021 to approve a form of age verification. The Department has worked together with the Licensing Forum to agree to the use of the applications that make up Digital Connect ID as the first form of electronic age verification.

How easy this will be to fake to a level that will fool overworked bar staff is another matter.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As explained in the press release:

Digital Connect ID has been approved as a convenient alternative to carrying a verified physical ID such as a passport, driving licence or proof of age card.

The Department of Home Affairs has powers under the Liquor Licensing and Public Entertainments Act 2021 to approve a form of age verification. The Department has worked together with the Licensing Forum to agree to the use of the applications that make up Digital Connect ID as the first form of electronic age verification.

How easy this will be to fake to a level that will fool overworked bar staff is another matter.

How are you going to fake something that they have to see you open from one of three approved apps?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Pretty easily

How?  By hacking the os, or the app?  Or do they need to somehow physically replace the element of the system the person checking your age has?

I don’t think you understand how this works.

Odds on for an ignore, rather than an addition of lack of knowledge.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I don’t think you understand how this works.

A classic fantasy Dave comment. You and Banker are both up early trolling today. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

A classic fantasy Dave comment. You and Banker are both up early trolling today. 

Dude.

You upload your docs via a secure app for verification.  This includes a photo of you that has to be verified as a true likeness.

When someone wants to check your ID in person they use their unique QR code that you physically have to scan in front of them and it tells the app the age you need to be verified as being.

Without you or them doing anything else on the phone and in front of their very eyes it then loads a pic of you that has been verified and needs to be an actual likeness before they will let you in/buy something.  

At that point it tells them if you are old enough or not and they check the pic against your actual face.

So yes.  I don’t think John understands the process and if he does I am interested to know how you “pretty easily” fake something that has been developed by some of the top people in the world to specifically not allow that to be the case.

Edited by CrazyDave