lots of bargains in shoprite and Tesco today

Omobono

could not believe the amount of yellow labels  in TESCO and Shoprite today   huge amount of fresh turkeys  with big discounts  and plenty of other christmas fayre at greatly reduced prices , and we have still  have   2 days shopping days  to go yet !, wondered if someone in the buying department has cocked up    same with the meats  nice half leg of lamb  just over a fiver , same with Pork and beef ,  this will knock a hole in the  governments basket of shopping figures  that they use to calculate the retail cost of living 

at these prices everyone should be able to afford  a decent christmas dinner  and have something left for the next day 

as they say  at Tesco every little helps !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reckon my weekly shop costs me £10 - £15 less now than it did before Tesco took over, some of the price reductions (since Shoprite) and alternatives are quite dramatic. Heinz soup, 400g tin, any variety, £1.80. Tesco own brand soup, 80p for 400g tin. I can't distinguish much difference in taste. Who in their right mind is going to pay £1 more for a tin of soup? There's plenty of other examples too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

could not believe the amount of yellow labels  in TESCO and Shoprite today   huge amount of fresh turkeys  with big discounts  and plenty of other christmas fayre at greatly reduced prices , and we have still  have   2 days shopping days  to go yet !, wondered if someone in the buying department has cocked up    same with the meats  nice half leg of lamb  just over a fiver , same with Pork and beef ,  this will knock a hole in the  governments basket of shopping figures  that they use to calculate the retail cost of living 

at these prices everyone should be able to afford  a decent christmas dinner  and have something left for the next day 

Well I picked up our pre ordered half leg of lamb from the local butchers today for Christmas . £ 40. Then went to Shoprite/ Tescos to see the same product ( maybe 10 % less in weight ) for £ 23.

Im more than prepared to pay a premium for supporting local businesses but there is a limit especially in these times.

Just saying.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Clarification

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I picked up our pre ordered half leg of lamb from the local butchers today for Christmas . £ 40. Then went to Shoprite/ Tescos to see the same product ( maybe 10 % less in weight ) for £ 23.

Im more than prepared to pay a premium for supporting local businesses but there is a limit especially in these times.

Just saying.

Looks like the tesco lamb is a baa..gain

• Haha 1

Marksies was scandalous today. The French butter was sold out and I had to settle for the Italian one.

Then to top it all off woodbourne deli was out of donuts. At lunch time. At lunch time!! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

The country is awash with shit NZ lamb. Unlimited quotas. It’s all being dumped on UK shores. 

Yeah, as I understand it, the Kiwi farmers couldn't believe their luck with the desperation of Truss in signing up to anything that might have been possible to hail as a positive result of Brexit. 

6 hours ago, Omobono said: