lots of bargains in shoprite and Tesco today

Omobono

Isn't it personally insulting that so many publications have 'How to cook xmas lunch; articles at this time of year????

Same as last year for the majority of their readers surely?

Overheard in Tescos last week, two young Women discussing Rose Marie sauce for their Prawn Cocktails, ''It's just mayo and Ketchup'', noooooooooo! That's pudding!!!

Bread sauce is the only anomaly? Who actually does that???

Anyway, best for the new year for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

two young Women discussing Rose Marie sauce for their Prawn Cocktails, ''It's just mayo and Ketchup'', noooooooooo!

I thought Rose Marie was Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald.

Marie Rose, they weren’t far off, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper.

On 12/23/2023 at 5:22 PM, Manxman1234 said:

Shoprite not making money from stores now. Owned by Tesco 

On 12/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, woolley said:

OK. Interesting. Thought maybe the financial change might be the end of the year seeing as Shoprite ads are still running in press and on radio, and they have said that gift vouchers are redeemable only until the month end.

@Manxman1234 As you seem to have some knowledge of the situation, does this mean that Tesco are actually buying stuff from the likes of Robinson's at the moment? Seems bizarre if they are. Are Shoprite staff still buying and stocking the stores until the end of the year but Tesco banking the takings and paying the bills? Only thing I can think of to explain what's happening on the ground.

42 minutes ago, woolley said:

@Manxman1234 As you seem to have some knowledge of the situation, does this mean that Tesco are actually buying stuff from the likes of Robinson's at the moment? Seems bizarre if they are. Are Shoprite staff still buying and stocking the stores until the end of the year but Tesco banking the takings and paying the bills? Only thing I can think of to explain what's happening on the ground.

Well it is Tesco's VAT number on receipts now so my earlier assumption that they had agreed to buy but not yet completed (bit like when you buy a house with exchange and completion)  was wrong. If it is Tesco that does not explain the price differential on Tesco branded goods in Shoprite to those in the Lake Road store.

59 minutes ago, woolley said:

Tesco are actually buying stuff from the likes of Robinson's at the moment? Seems bizarre if they are

It could be that Robinsons have a long term contract. I would have thought that the 'Buy Out' would have cancellled the contracts, and it would be for Shoprite to ease out or pay out of their contracts wit Robinsons could be be that this contract was easier to continue till a certain date in the future, to Tescos easment of supply when they can bring in their own adequate supply?

With a company of this size we cannot know what their long term view of our little market is~!!!!