Manx Company buys 25% of Man Utd

8 hours ago, Banker said:

Sir Jim is a tax resident in Monaco so obviously his purchase will be via an offshore company 

If I recall correctly ,  he was fairly open about his reasons for relocating himself and business ownership structure to Monaco - it was to get away from the UK’s high taxes. Which is his right I suppose. 

On 12/26/2023 at 8:56 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

Rich person doesn't like paying tax shocker!

The thing is. A lot of people don’t like paying tax. Cash in hand for plumbing? Tax evasion. Cash in hand for building work? Tax evasion. Discount for cash? Etc. We all do it to some extent. Maybe. But people hate the rich for being rich - and finding legal ways (mostly) for paying less tax. 

21 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

The thing is. A lot of people don’t like paying tax. Cash in hand for plumbing? Tax evasion. Cash in hand for building work? Tax evasion. Discount for cash? Etc. We all do it to some extent. Maybe. But people hate the rich for being rich - and finding legal ways (mostly) for paying less tax. 

The difference is, most of us have very little or no option as to how much tax we pay, saving £20 on a plumbing job every couple of years aside.

I don't think people hate the rich for being rich. I think they hate the fact that they can use their wealth to make sure they pay very little in tax, despite them being best placed to be able to pay their fair share.

38 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The difference is, most of us have very little or no option as to how much tax we pay, saving £20 on a plumbing job every couple of years aside.

I don't think people hate the rich for being rich. I think they hate the fact that they can use their wealth to make sure they pay very little in tax, despite them being best placed to be able to pay their fair share.

My point is, most people - if they were wealthy, would do the same. As we all do - as you suggest, by allowing cash in hand work. Same scenario. Different scale. Actually the cash in hand work is facilitating tax evasion - which is worse that exploiting legal tax efficiency. IMHO. If you were rich - hand on heart - would you look to save money offshore if you could? 

and ‘fair share’ - if I’m rich I have private healthcare, don’t use Busses , have big heavily taxed cars, employ people, pay for company registrations and payroll, I rarely use any public services, I fly a lot - airport and flight routes do well out of me, as do taxis and/or  airport parking. I bring people here and eat out a lot. I think they put more in than they take out. 

but people don’t like rich people. 

Edited by Steve_Christian
Addition to post and spelling

6 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

My point is, most people - if they were wealthy, would do the same. As we all do - as you suggest, by allowing cash in hand work. Same scenario. Different scale. Actually the cash in hand work is facilitating tax evasion - which is worse that exploiting legal tax efficiency. IMHO. If you were rich - hand on heart - would you look to save money offshore if you could? 

and ‘fair share’ - if I’m rich I have private healthcare, don’t use Busses , have big heavily taxed cars, employ people, pay for company registrations and payroll, I rarely use any public services, I fly a lot - airport and flight routes do well out of me, as do taxis and/or  airport parking. I bring people here and eat out a lot. I think they put more in than they take out. 

but people don’t like rich people. 

I agree apart from the fact their new fancy cars are taxed much more favourably than the plebs twenty year old banger!

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

So you think £30 quid for some £100,000 motor is fairer than £500 for a twenty year old banger?

Doesn’t matter what I think. What I’m saying is they are paying the IOM Gov exactly what the IOM gov have told them to pay in that car. I.e (literally) their fair share… no tax evasion there sir… 

1 minute ago, Steve_Christian said:

Doesn’t matter what I think. What I’m saying is they are paying the IOM Gov exactly what the IOM gov have told them to pay in that car. I.e (literally) their fair share… no tax evasion there sir… 

A bit fucked up though don't you think?

3 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

So ripping off the poor to fund the rich is ok then?

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

A bit fucked up though don't you think?

I think that the government will really need to tax fuel efficient and electric cars better somehow - as there will otherwise be a big dent in their income (including taxes on petrol and diesel). But you can’t blame a rich dude for paying the car tax he is required to. In his shoes - would you offer to pay more as you didn’t think it was fair? Probably not I suspect. 

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

So ripping off the poor to fund the rich is ok then?

Again. Didn’t say that. Didn’t say the taxes on cars was fair. What I’m saying is, they are paying their fair share. But out of the tax they pay - they aren’t using many public services, busses etc so they are still putting in more than they are taking out. As opposed to someone on benefits. And before everyone shouts at me. I’m not criticising anyone for their situation or saying anyone is better than anyone else. I’m simply saying - a rich dude puts in more than he takes out. A person on benefits takes out more than they put in. 

and people don’t like the rich. Because they are rich. 

• Like 1