Manx Company buys 25% of Man Utd

9 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Again. Didn’t say that. Didn’t say the taxes on cars was fair. What I’m saying is, they are paying their fair share. But out of the tax they pay - they aren’t using many public services, busses etc so they are still putting in more than they are taking out. As opposed to someone on benefits. And before everyone shouts at me. I’m not criticising anyone for their situation or saying anyone is better than anyone else. I’m simply saying - a rich dude puts in more than he takes out. A person on benefits takes out more than they put in. 

and people don’t like the rich. Because they are rich. 

They may contribute more than some waster on benefits but not the rest of the downtrodden working population!

31 minutes ago, finlo said:

Well it's a really intelligent incentive to get poor people to spunk £100,000 plus on a new eco car!

And again. Let’s say Mr Rich owns 6 super cars at £100k each. I own a Rav 4. I pay £350 a year tax. He pays - Let’s assume £100 per car. He’s still paying £250 a year more than me. Therefore… contributing more. And he pays to have them valeted by a local firm. Which puts more into the economy (I don’t bother cleaning mine). Etc. 

7 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Proving my point. You don’t like the rich. Because they’re rich. 

It's not because they are rich, it is because they are selfish.

15 minute grass cut at 83yr old Doris's house, she's straight out with a cup of tea - 8 hours at a mansion get nothing.

You do some building work for some rich guy, think great here's a couple of weeks solid work. Except they're there trying to do you down on price, pushing you to take cash and giving a discount. Except you've got a young family, are claiming EPA, declare everything because you're honest and its the right thing to do. Plus you've already bought materials, paid VAT, duty on your fuel, whatever. You've got supplier accounts, and keep your own books neat and tidy. The rich client doesn't give a shit about any of it, their seething arrogance thinks you should be grateful and that you should knock 20% off for cash. Because they themselves are fucking crooked, they think you are too. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's not because they are rich, it is because they are selfish.

15 minute grass cut at 83yr old Doris's house, she's straight out with a cup of tea - 8 hours at a mansion get nothing.

You do some building work for some rich guy, think great here's a couple of weeks solid work. Except they're there trying to do you down on price, pushing you to take cash and giving a discount. Except you've got a young family, are claiming EPA, declare everything because you're honest and its the right thing to do. Plus you've already bought materials, paid VAT, duty on your fuel, whatever. The rich client doesn't give a shit about any of it, their seething arrogance thinks you should be grateful and that you should knock 20% off for cash. Because they themselves are fucking crooked, they think you are too. 

No generalising there at all then 😂

As to the Doris example.  Have you ever considered that Doris has nothing to do all day and I waiting for someone to turn up she can talk to?

The rich guy, who you clearly hate because he is rich, might well have 15 people coming to his house that day and be busy inside on the phone or in meetings.

I have also personally heard builders moan at a big house because they were offered biscuits but because the guy was wealthy they thought he should get the breakfast baps. No wonder people don’t bother.

27 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

No generalising there at all then 😂

As to the Doris example.  Have you ever considered that Doris has nothing to do all day and I waiting for someone to turn up she can talk to?

The rich guy, who you clearly hate because he is rich, might well have 15 people coming to his house that day and be busy inside on the phone or in meetings.

I have also personally heard builders moan at a big house because they were offered biscuits but because the guy was wealthy they thought he should get the breakfast baps. No wonder people don’t bother.

It isn’t a generalisation. Maybe Teapot has first hand experience of dealing with HNWIs? I have certainly heard many stories of HNWIs and both their arrogance, rudeness and tight arsery. I don’t believe that tradespeople would whinge about breakfast baps (that’s fantasy talking) but it’s polite to at least offer to offer a hot or cold drink, and a biscuit. Politeness cost nothing and goes along way. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

and ‘fair share’ - if I’m rich I have private healthcare, don’t use Busses , have big heavily taxed cars, employ people, pay for company registrations and payroll, I rarely use any public services, I fly a lot - airport and flight routes do well out of me, as do taxis and/or  airport parking. I bring people here and eat out a lot. I think they put more in than they take out. 

but people don’t like rich people. 

But the people you employ, your customers, the taxi drivers, the airport staff, and the people who valet your car do use public services. We all benefit from having an educated, healthy population and an infrastructure that  works.

And who benefits most from having a functioning capitalist society - the rich.

"Sir Jim Ratcliffe is expected to ask an external auditor to assess Manchester United’s structure and expenditure with a view to a major streamlining exercise, meaning as many as 300 jobs are potentially under threat"

When they have finished reducing the head count by 30%, they are coming over here to analyse the Civil Service.

3 hours ago, Declan said:

But the people you employ, your customers, the taxi drivers, the airport staff, and the people who valet your car do use public services. We all benefit from having an educated, healthy population and an infrastructure that  works.

But what if they were unemployed and on benefits if the UHNWs weren’t here and therefore contributing negatively to the economy? 

4 hours ago, Declan said:

That's very true, but what would be the point of working extra hard to become rich if you didn't benefit from it? 

I know a guy who is a HNW, he started with absolutely nothing and at one time lived in a lock up garage. He works very hard, it's something he doesn't seem able to stop doing. He spends fortunes on builders and tradesmen doing changes to properties, employs a lot of people in his businesses, spends fortunes on his hobbies, in short, keeps a lot of people in business! Oh, and he is very generous and helpful. Although he dreams of taking it easy and just lounging about, he can't do it. I think that this is something that people don't understand about rich people, many of them are workaholics, the harder they work, the luckier they are!   

48 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That's very true, but what would be the point of working extra hard to become rich if you didn't benefit from it? 

Well I'm not suggesting a maximum earnings cap, just that the rich pay a fair share. 

Anyway, most of the rich aren't hard workers or self-made. They've inherited their wealth or come from money and used their connections. 

I suspect the driven individuals who you describe are motivated more by status or creating something notable. Sounds like your guy approaches his hobbies in the same way as his business. 

• Like 1