Hackers steal customer data from Europe’s largest parking app operator

genericUserName

EasyPark Group, the owner of brands including RingGo and ParkMobile, said customer names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses and parts of credit card numbers had been taken but said parking data had not been compromised in the cyber-attack.

That’s reassuring as I’m happy for them to have my card numbers, email address and other highly personal data but I really didn’t want anyone to steal a record of where I might have parked my car 2 years ago. 

• Haha 4

parts of credit card numbers”

So not really an issue then, and people don’t use their actual card numbers on things like this anyway do they? For exactly this reason.

“950 RingGo users in the UK were involved“

So hardly anyone.

Its not an issue for the island, but a possible reminder to people not to enter your actual card details on websites incase one is stupid enough to store the whole thing (which Ringo obviously haven’t, which is good practice by them) and get hacked.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

parts of credit card numbers”

So not really an issue then, and people don’t use their actual card numbers on things like this anyway do they? For exactly this reason.

“950 RingGo users in the UK were involved“

So hardly anyone.

Its not an issue for the island, but a possible reminder to people not to enter your actual card details on websites incase one is stupid enough to store the whole thing (which Ringo obviously haven’t, which is good practice by them) and get hacked.

How do you suppose older people pay for parking without entering their card?

Not just parts of a credit card, it was Name, address, car registration, email address and parking history.  Very useful information for criminals.

This is the same company who had 21 million users data leaked in 2021.

https://www.hackread.com/ringgo-parkmobile-easypark-data-breach-data-stolen/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cissolt said:

Not just parts of a credit card, it was Name, address, car registration, email address and parking history.  Very useful information for criminals.

No it wasn’t. You are just making stuff up now.

People shouldn’t be using their physical card details.  Use Apple Pay or Google pay, or a virtual/disposable card.

Take responsibility for yourselves but even if people did use their actual card details in this instance; it isn’t an issue anyway because those haven’t been leaked. 

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

No it wasn’t. You are just making stuff up now.

People shouldn’t be using their physical card details.  Use Apple Pay or Google pay, or a virtual/disposable card.

Take responsibility for yourselves but even if people did use their actual card details in this instance; it isn’t an issue anyway because those haven’t been leaked. 

Screenshot_2023-12-27-12-42-35-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.1f2a3d7af8d3729f9b3877e5c4269cef.jpg

9 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Just names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers. Oh that's OK then.

Nothing to see here, lessons will be learnt.........

It doesn’t impact anyone on island, and all that info is out there on the dark web for the vast majority of people anyway.

Its a non story, the likes of which there are loads of every month which will involve more local people.

40 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It doesn’t impact anyone on island,

You don't know that. I know the truth doesn't feature highly in your world, and reading isn't your strong point, but you really need to stop making stuff up and presenting it as fact.

I know you're angry with people discussing this but still.

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

You don't know that. I know the truth doesn't feature highly in your world, and reading isn't your strong point, but you really need to stop making stuff up and presenting it as fact.

I know you're angry with people discussing this but still.

It’s pretty much nailed on that it doesn’t. 

I just went to check my Ringo app to see if I am listed as IOM or UK, because the 900 user impacted are UK, and it turns out RingGo don’t even have my name, my address or any of my card details or what country I live in because it’s all done through my Apple account that won’t be stored on their servers.

They have one email address, that’s it.

Can someone explain why this is a concern to anyone on island?  I can see nothing to be worried or alarmed about at all.

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s pretty much nailed on that it doesn’t. 

I just went to check my Ringo app to see if I am listed as IOM or UK, because the 900 user impacted are UK, and it turns out RingGo don’t even have my name, my address or any of my card details or what country I live in because it’s all done through my Apple account that won’t be stored on their servers.

They have one email address, that’s it.

Can someone explain why this is a concern to anyone on island?  I can see nothing to be worried or alarmed about at all.

Listen, wipe the froth from your mouth, take a few deep breaths and calm down.

Now go back and read the article, but this time, read what it actually says, rather than what you want it to say.

You do realise that your ranting at people discussing this is keeping the discussion going don't you?