Hackers steal customer data from Europe’s largest parking app operator

genericUserName

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Listen, wipe the froth from your mouth, take a few deep breaths and calm down.

Now go back and read the article, but this time, read what it actually says, rather than what you want it to say.

You do realise that your ranting at people discussing this is keeping the discussion going don't you?

I have read it.  I don’t see anything that makes it of any concern to anyone.

Be a good chap and explain it to me why anyone on the island should care.

I don’t get it.  I am asking nicely.  Please advise me what the concern should be that makes it worthy of mention here?

Cheers

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I don’t get it.  I am asking nicely.  Please advise me what the concern should be that makes it worthy of mention here?

Cheers

Yes but a fool and his money is just offering a straight opinion on the subject at hand not some clearly deranged crackpot idiotically trolling people with fantasy claims. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Yes but a fool and his money is just offering a straight opinion on the subject at hand not some clearly deranged crackpot idiotically trolling people with fantasy claims. 

He hasn’t offered any opinion at all.

I am not trolling anyone.  I have offered sound advice on both threads about how people can protect themselves and make sure they aren’t really impacted when these things inevitably happen.

I have asked for an explanation as to why anyone should be concerned and there is none forthcoming.

All this is is people who hate everything government do jumping on a non story and trying to make it into something it isn’t and I stand by that until someone tells me why it’s a concern to anyone on island.

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Cheers

Okay. Ringo operate on the island. It's clear from the article that they've suffered a significant data breach involving various forms of personal data, the type of personal data most people would not like them to share with criminals.

Further, the company have not said how or who is affected by the breach, other than detailing the number of UK users to a UK newspaper.

As a person who spends a large part of his life on here talking absolute nonsense about nothing of any consequence to anybody but himself, it seems strange that you should object to others discussing a relevant local news story.

You're obviously happy that all your personal data is in the safe hands of Apple, so, having aired your opinion, backed by your normal made up "facts" why don't you leave the thread to users who are interested and who do want to discuss it? I really don't see your problem.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Okay. Ringo operate on the island. It's clear from the article that they've suffered a significant data breach involving various forms of personal data, the type of personal data most people would not like them to share with criminals.

Further, the company have not said how or who is affected by the breach, other than detailing the number of UK users to a UK newspaper.

As a person who spends a large part of his life on here talking absolute nonsense about nothing of any consequence to anybody but himself, it seems strange that you should object to others discussing a relevant local news story.

You're obviously happy that all your personal data is in the safe hands of Apple, so, having aired your opinion, backed by your normal made up "facts" why don't you leave the thread to users who are interested and who do want to discuss it? I really don't see your problem.

So as I thought.

No passwords. No full credit card numbers.  No expiry dates etc etc.

Names, addresses and phone numbers plus an email address.  All stuff that would be easily available to anyone who was arsed about finding it anyway and as I already said will already be on the dark web from numerous other breaches.

There are breaches every month that are more serious and probably impact more local people, but this one has been jumped on just because it’s RingGo.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So as I thought.

Names, addresses and phone numbers plus an email address.  All stuff that would be easily available to anyone who was added about finding it byway and as I already said will already be on the dark web from numerous other breaches.

There are breaches every month that are more serious and probably impact more local people, but this one has been jumped on just because it’s RingGo.

It makes you wonder why they bother having laws against such things doesn't it? If companies routinely pass names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers on to criminals.

Why would anyone be remotely concerned about such activity? It must be an elaborate conspiracy to discredit Ringo, that makes far more sense.

I for one are far more concerned about bad mouthing a company whose app I have to use a couple of times a year than the prospect of having large amounts of my personal data shared with the criminal underworld, isn't everyone?

• Like 1

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

It makes you wonder why they bother having laws against such things doesn't it? If companies routinely pass names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers on to criminals.

Why would anyone be remotely concerned about such activity? It must be an elaborate conspiracy to discredit Ringo, that makes far more sense.

I for one are far more concerned about bad mouthing a company whose app I have to use a couple of times a year than the prospect of having large amounts of my personal data shared with the criminal underworld, isn't everyone?

Who said they routinely pass the info?  Are you having a bad day.

There has been a data breach and it has been reported to the relevant authorities.  This happens all the time.  As a result your data is more than likely all ready out there.  I have already posted links where you can check in two minutes.

There was a breach and it is being dealt with.  There is hardly a company know that hasn’t suffered similar and there is nothing particular to worry about with this one unless you can show otherwise.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

I don't think it was Tim  lets see what Thomas has to say about it , amazing where all this ,   after the  the event insight    has come from , why can't we have a simple ANPR numberplate recognition   and pay with a card , or at the help desk inside the airport   Local solutions for local problems ,

[Putting reply on correct thread]  It was actually under Crookall the first time round that RingGo was introduced in May 2022 Thomas didn't come in till June.  Actually two Tims were involved as Glover is the one actually quoted in the press release.

On 12/27/2023 at 3:09 PM, CrazyDave said:

So as I thought.

Names, addresses and phone numbers plus an email address.  All stuff that would be easily available to anyone who was arsed about finding it anyway and as I already said will already be on the dark web from numerous other breaches.

When you register with Ringo how is your address detailed? Is it just "isle of Man" as the country or "Isle of Man + United Kingdom" as the country? 

Some websites won't accept IOM as the final country address, only UK even though it's an IOM post code. 

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

When you register with Ringo how is your address detailed? Is it just "isle of Man" as the country or "Isle of Man + United Kingdom" as the country? 

Some websites won't accept IOM as the final country address, only UK even though it's an IOM post code. 

Neither.  Ringo doesn’t store any of that info for me.  So even if someone did get my records from them, they don’t really have any of my data anyway

Which is what I have been saying.  Yes they should secure your data but there is also an element of personal responsibility for what you give these sites.

Not that I care if someone has my name and address.  It’s all over the internet and in the phone book anyway.  I even have a number on my house 

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Neither.  Ringo doesn’t store any of that info for me.  So even if someone did get my records from them, they don’t really have any of my data anyway

Which is what I have been saying.  Yes they should secure your data but there is also an element of personal responsibility for what you give these sites.

Not that I care if someone has my name and address.  It’s all over the internet and in the phone book anyway.  I even have a number on my house 

I'm trying to find out how you know that IOM registered users haven't been hacked. How do know there aren't any?

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm trying to find out how you know that IOM registered users haven't been hacked. How do know there aren't any?

900 Ringo users in total.  The chances of them being iom are minuscule.

Anyone who has been impacted has been notified.

No one who was impacted should be arsed anyway because it’s a non event.