Laxey Wheel visitors centre

CallMeCurious

The show house for the Peggy application seems to have gone quiet or has it just slipped through under the rope.    Did the three million quid get given to MNH to make up the required amount which was about six million or is it still under discussion.   Whilst we have homelessness which is going to be addressed in 2029 it seems a bit off to be spending tax payers money to house an awl boat or subscribing towards it  to be specific.

I'd have thought the priorities would be that the Laxey Wheel Visitors' Centre fits in with the surrounding area and also complements the structure of the wheel.

The big blue shed does neither.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thank god for Charles Guard and people power , it time the public got a lot more vocal in several areas of government expenditure  , we might even stop the building of the silly wall on Douglas promenade next  and get the DOI to lower the top of the beach and put a few Groynes back 

• Like 6

You will be lucky, they are hell bent on this. Will be Liverpool 2, on a smaller scale as they find out the construction of the walkway not to be suitable and have to dig down 5 metres for footings or risk the top block being ripped out of the ground by the back flow. Or are they expecting the build up of shingle to strengthen it, you know the shingle that will reach top of the wall and then the planned 1.2 metre extension will have to be built on top. Sorry to go on but it is one of the incompetent decisions by the DOI that boils my piss. And yes I do know the wall construction having worked on the Farran's site as they put in the tanks for the DOI fuck up that is the I.R.I.S. plan.

• Like 1

How did it even get that far ? We came within a whisker of putting a plastic tool shed (In 'midnight blue') next to our national marvel of world industrial heritage. These assholes in suits wouldn't get that. Well done Charles.

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I wonder did the Victorians pay any heed to an old busy body from the Elizabethan Society constantly whining about new things...

Yes, quite a lot.  You only have to look at how often their architecture looked back to earlier times.  And organisations such as the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (founded 1877) fought to preserve old things and there were lots of campaigns for individual buildings and monuments such as the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust (founded 1847) which preserved so many of the Elizabethan buildings in Stratford. 

The Ancient Monuments Protection Act was brought in in 1882 and it was noted then that the UK was behind some other European countries such as France.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I wonder did the Victorians pay any heed to an old busy body from the Elizabethan Society constantly whining about new things...

They were the biggest cultural vandals going. 

I'd hate to be Charles Guard, walking along Douglas Prom an looking at the peeling paint rather than the Tower of Refuge. Going to Laxey and focusing on a portacabin rather than the wheel. He'd probably complain because there was camel shit at the pyramids. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

How did it even get that far ? We came within a whisker of putting a plastic tool shed (In 'midnight blue') next to our national marvel of world industrial heritage. These assholes in suits wouldn't get that. Well done Charles.

It's a mystery to me as well.  MNH would rightly make a fuss if someone proposed something so unsympathetic elsewhere.  I can only assume that they were forced into it by another piece of Government (Treasury, DoI?) who said that if they wanted any sort of new facility (and something is certainly needed) then it had to be as supplied by their mate.  The fact that there's already another one in use makes it look as if this is another "solution looking for a problem".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a mystery to me as well.  MNH would rightly make a fuss if someone proposed something so unsympathetic elsewhere.  I can only assume that they were forced into it by another piece of Government (Treasury, DoI?) who said that if they wanted any sort of new facility (and something is certainly needed) then it had to be as supplied by their mate.  The fact that there's already another one in use makes it look as if this is another "solution looking for a problem".

Treasury..... all roads lead to the Treasury.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Small boat of limited interest - £6m glass and steel megastructure in a conservation area

Glorious example of victorian ingenuity - a midnight blue shed

MNH are mental.

Blame Moorhouse and Tony Brown for hassling them into returning the boat. It was a stupid idea so it's no surprise it came from them: https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/campaign-steps-up-to-return-peggy-to-castletown/