Laxey Wheel visitors centre

CallMeCurious

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a mystery to me as well.  MNH would rightly make a fuss if someone proposed something so unsympathetic elsewhere.  I can only assume that they were forced into it by another piece of Government (Treasury, DoI?) who said that if they wanted any sort of new facility (and something is certainly needed) then it had to be as supplied by their mate.  The fact that there's already another one in use makes it look as if this is another "solution looking for a problem".

if you look   at Peel  Marina  the DOI have already been there,  and built a similar carbuncle  at the top of the harbour , how they got planning in a conservation area for that   no one knows , 

23 minutes ago, Omobono said:

if you look   at Peel  Marina  the DOI have already been there,  and built a similar carbuncle  at the top of the harbour , how they got planning in a conservation area for that   no one knows , 

Did they actually get (or require?) planning permission for it?  I'm not a Peel person, so others will know better, but if it's what I think it is it looks like a replacement for an existing building and just outside the conservation area:

image.png.f81a182843852ead1c1596d44e7e6225.png

But I've probably got entirely the wrong thing.

Planning application withdrawn.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/manx-heritage-releases-statement-after-new-laxey-wheel-welcome-hub-plans-withdrawn-659991

What gets me is that the very people entrusted with preserving our heritage and making it viable and welcoming, have bugger all idea what they are doing! They have buckled to pressure over something that should never have even been considered!

• Like 3