Unpopular decisions

Fred the shred

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Everyone complaining about use of reserves to maintain services but no one says which services they would like cut to save reserves! It’s no good say  Cut CS without giving details and how they would achieve this, you can’t just get rid of vast numbers of staff overnight!, even if you could the massive redundancy payments, loss of tax take, benefits payments etc would cause massive strain on resources as well.

people like to complain but never off reasonable costed plans as alternatives 

What's your plan for if and when the money runs out? We are presently down to an accessible @ £600M.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

Everyone complaining about use of reserves to maintain services but no one says which services they would like cut to save reserves! It’s no good say  Cut CS without giving details and how they would achieve this, you can’t just get rid of vast numbers of staff overnight!, even if you could the massive redundancy payments, loss of tax take, benefits payments etc would cause massive strain on resources as well.

loss of tax take ??  all CS wages are made up from government 'fees' and the tax of the private sector , so government employees 'tax' is actually made up of other peoples tax and government fees in the first place , if we weren't paying for an excess of managers that can't manage then the money could be spent on the actual services.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It can all be laid at the door of a lack of a system featuring a democratic opposition. Nobody is asking questions, examining, criticising or opposing without good reason. We have the unelected ruling with the elected in their pockets via favours, patronage and myopia.

I think this is very true, and very underappreciated in our community.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Yeah but we are not using the money to maintain services, its being squandered on ill thought out plans like giving it to rich building contractors to build houses/flats that local people (apart from rich speculators) can not afford. In the vain hope the contractor will give all the money to the people working on the building and so will slowly trickle down to the dregs. Or Westmorland Road/Nurses home another grandiose scheme that will not inhance one locals  life whats so ever apart from the contractor who will no doubt be taking the Government to the cleaners like every thing they touch. Prop up the health if you want to improve ordinary peoples life not put it in one company's pocket.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Your right ,sadly , but the messages our esteemed leaders send out are totally at odds with the seriousness of the situation. 
I would start with banning any new recruitment into CS post till a full appraisal has taken place of existing posts. Apart from really necessary posts of course , ATC and the likes. The 53 suggested posts in HR should be massively put on hold and pushed into a corner. Yes I know doing a root and branch assessment of staffing is fraught but has to happen. The CS and the likes need to get the message that the cash cow has gone. Burroughs Stewart need to be binned off as do any other pet operations that are to cosy with Government. Also HR department would be my first port of call for assessment as it’s clear they have no clue as to what’s required in any staffing recruitment. Spake anyone ! Senior management in all departments need to be called in together ,the only CS gathering I would approve, and the reality spelt out to them that we cannot continue like we have been doing.  Budgets need to be adhered too and supervision of any project will need to be overseen strictly . We have to get away from zero accountability otherwise we really are doomed. Nobody I know thinks that this latest setup with MDC is not doomed to fail as nothing changed in the way it’s structured. The DOI has cost the people of the IOM multi millions and the end result is mostly substandard and at a premium . The IOM is now seen as a soft touch I’m sure by organisations  and nothings changing anytime soon unless they face up to what the situation is before it’s too late. Cannan has been a total failure with lots of speak but no end result. He still has a chance to rescue his reputation . Will he or can he. If he tried he would have most of the public on board . They cannot continue rinsing the person in the street to pay for there own incompetence and failings. And the MHK’s who say they are working in the background to make a difference are the first that need to go. Totally cop out ! Ohhh and the number needs to reduce. Having 24 MHK’s that most offer nothing to the party has to stop. And don’t get me started on MLC’s . It’s a shit show but not to late….I could go on lots but I think you get the idea. Lots won’t agree with my ideas , some will , but whatever we are all surely in agreement something urgently needs to be done.  
footnote. I know this all will take time and won’t be easy. Ego’s will take a battering and they will be casualties but if nothings done it will be far worse.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

I think you are sadly wrong Derek the worst of the bunch will be reapplying for sure as they have no prospects elsewhere.     Who in the private sector would employ middle aged people with c.vs that are dismal at best and laughable at worst.   That is why the current non achievers are jumping on band wagons and supporting anything that moves it gets more like a personality contest by the day, a collection of me too candidates.    There are some decent ones that don’t run with the crowd and I do have some sympathy with the CM when you consider some of the poor material he has had to work with whilst trying to shape a government which has culminated with the deck chair \ Titanic situation.    The root problem is the quality of the candidates that stand.   Take Onchan , what choice did the voters have ? it is and has been for a while best of bunch situation and that is really not working that is just an example.    I cannot see an answer I have always voted but doubt I will again.

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

Wasn't there a historical report into the CS size that recommended cuts ? I don't recall.

Yes, many occasions and variants. Scope of Govt on at least 2 occasions that I can think of (2006 and 2012).

Recruitment capping mechanisms were put in place at the will of Tynwald and have been ignored, leading to concerns being raised by MHKs which have also been disregarded. Committees have been promised to look into it which have never happened.

Then Alf suddenly announces that everything is OK.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, asitis said:

Wasn't there a historical report into the CS size that recommended cuts ? I don't recall.

In Alan Bell days he said CS needed to reduce and all he did was increase it further. Another terrible CM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I think you are sadly wrong Derek the worst of the bunch will be reapplying for sure as they have no prospects elsewhere.     Who in the private sector would employ middle aged people with c.vs that are dismal at best and laughable at worst.   That is why the current non achievers are jumping on band wagons and supporting anything that moves it gets more like a personality contest by the day, a collection of me too candidates.    There are some decent ones that don’t run with the crowd and I do have some sympathy with the CM when you consider some of the poor material he has had to work with whilst trying to shape a government which has culminated with the deck chair \ Titanic situation.    The root problem is the quality of the candidates that stand.   Take Onchan , what choice did the voters have ? it is and has been for a while best of bunch situation and that is really not working that is just an example.    I cannot see an answer I have always voted but doubt I will again.

I don’t think he is. Lots who have got there two terms in will go for sure . Yes some will stay on because as you say 70k plus there not getting anywhere else. My view is there will be carnage on Election Day and we will end up with people with zero credibility and even less qualities than the ones in now. Answer is to cut down the required number. Less is more ! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

In Alan Bell days he said CS needed to reduce and all he did was increase it further. Another terrible CM. 

Ah yes. His Cabinet Office vanity project which has expanded Lord knows how many fold since its creation.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I don't know about a conservative orientated island, the current size of the CS is more akin to a communist state where a huge swathe of the population work for government and Government is guaranteed a loyal voting base !

... or at least ensure people keep their mouths shut !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, asitis said:

I don't know about a conservative orientated island, the current size of the CS is more akin to a communist state where a huge swathe of the population work for government and Government is guaranteed a loyal voting base !

... or at least ensure people keep their mouths shut !

Yes it’s incestous and so undemocratic. It’s very wrong that decisions are made by CoMin and announced and other MHK’s outside the inner circle find out in the press. It’s also obvious that MHK’s are giving roles to keep them quiet and it seemly works. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

What's your plan for if and when the money runs out? We are presently down to an accessible @ £600M.

Put up taxes including captain gains tax on investment properties, cut out NI loophole for company directors via loans etc, get a proper company to do lean management review of CS starting 1 department at a time, recruitment freeze on non frontline staff without treasury sign off, prescription fees up for everyone who can afford including pensioners.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

cut out NI loophole for company directors via loans

It’s the loan loophole, it’s not income at all, so no tax or NI.

Its the dividend loophole that’s solely NI.