Darts

CrazyDave

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Decent market in minority sports, like darts. Or motorcycling.

Plus stockcars, karting, snooker, pool, chess and lots of others.

All things we dabble in but could do much better and really raise the islands profile and fill some hotel beds without huge investment.

Don't start me on the pedigree we have and threw away with rallying!

19 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Plus stockcars, karting, snooker, pool, chess and lots of others.

All things we dabble in but could do much better and really raise the islands profile and fill some hotel beds without huge investment.

Don't start me on the pedigree we have and threw away with rallying!

Pool did have TV coverage on Freesports Channel but that was bought up by ViaPlay which pulled out of the UK market. The IPA did a tournament held at the Palace Hotel, but Pool has died a death, certainly without any TV coverage. Sky Sports show Pool, but their coverage is competition’s organised by the main world Pool organising body, rather than the IPA, where members looks like glorified pub pool players. 

How much investment should the island invest? For Darts, if the PDC were to put on an event, then maybe it’s worth investing taxpayers money. However, the Villa Marina doesn’t quite cut it as a PDC Venue, so it’s unlikely the island would attract better quality sporting competitions, offering decent prize money.

Edited by 2112

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Pool did have TV coverage on Freesports Channel but that was bought up by ViaPlay which pulled out of the UK market. The IPA did a tournament held at the Palace Hotel, but Pool has died a death, certainly without any TV coverage. Sky Sports show Pool, but their coverage is competition’s organised by the main world Pool organising body, rather than the IPA, where members looks like glorified pub pool players. 

There is also fast fire snooker now (cant remember the exact name) which is growing and has TV coverage building.  There was a masters event on C5 over the weekend.

Another easy win without too much effort, but apparently some on here would rather we never look at anything to grown the places popularity.

Littler is a machine by the way.  Didn't start brilliantly, but turned it around very quickly.

8 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Yep, and that.  That was massive onlne 

Don't forget esports.  There is so much we should be all over but aren't

Gov do have an esports guy who should be on the case, but I haven't heard anything for a while. As long as he's getting paid though, I'm happy. Slack if you ask me 😉

ETA: Sorry they have a whole esports 'division' https://www.digitalisleofman.com/sectors/esports/

Edited by slinkydevil
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There is also fast fire snooker now (cant remember the exact name) which is growing and has TV coverage building.  There was a masters event on C5 over the weekend.

Another easy win without too much effort, but apparently some on here would rather we never look at anything to grown the places popularity.

Littler is a machine by the way.  Didn't start brilliantly, but turned it around very quickly.

Yes you are correct, but the venues used are miles better than what the IOM can offer, same with hotel accommodation. 

Away from Sports, there is an upsurge in people taking up ballroom dancing, based on BBCs Strictly Come Dancing. The IOM like Blackpool being well known Ballroom and Dancing Destination, especially after 1945. The Island had lots of dancehalls. Maybe the taxpayer could fund a ballroom dance competition, at the Villa Marina? 

• Like 1

We used to have all kinds of festivals the dance festival was really big but I think the cost of travel put an end to that they now go to a holiday camp in Blackpool. The football and rugby festivals at Easter were really great but they petered out probably for the same reason.   I can see where you are coming from Dave but we now have a non existing Tourist Board and the enthusiasm for tourism seems to have been extinguished it is a shame but apathy rules ok.

• Like 2

Just now, Moghrey Mie said:

We used to have union conferences and dozens of majorettes too. 

You are correct …………. but in 2024, Trade Unions have their conferences in places with decent facilities, like Manchester, Liverpool, Bournemouth and Brighton. Decent exhibition and conference facilities and hotels. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You are correct …………. but in 2024, Trade Unions have their conferences in places with decent facilities, like Manchester, Liverpool, Bournemouth and Brighton. Decent exhibition and conference facilities and hotels. 

And the majorettes finished off Douglas Carnival!

32 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

We used to have all kinds of festivals the dance festival was really big but I think the cost of travel put an end to that they now go to a holiday camp in Blackpool. The football and rugby festivals at Easter were really great but they petered out probably for the same reason.   I can see where you are coming from Dave but we now have a non existing Tourist Board and the enthusiasm for tourism seems to have been extinguished it is a shame but apathy rules ok.

Was the they heyday of the Edelweiss?