An ‘Uncomfortable and Distressing’ Environment HSCC.

Holte End

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

The vast majority of former teachers have spent their career being listened to because pupils have to listen to them. Whatever they say goes unchallenged. A king amongst young minds. Then they go out into the real world amongst others who have had, or are having, varied careers. The now flawed but unwavering instilled sense of importance just can't be shaken off.

Well I did remark back in July that the clash between Hooper and the HSCC might be due to the high number of ex-RGS heads on that body, but I don't think the rest of us need to share his trauma. 

One thing that teachers to tend to be trained to do is insist that others 'show their workings' and are able to justify what statements they make.  Something that Hooper doesn't seem to have learned from his time at RGS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are all suffering from the results of bad management, incompetence and arrogance. The service is dire, the money required to run the said service is holidaying on Merseyside and in Dr Ransons bank account. Meanwhile incompetent oafs argue about who said what to who !

( No implied criticism at all of anyone working on the front line of this shit show, many are our friends and we are well aware of the difficulties they face)

• Like 3

Meanwhile Hooper has released his response to Bakers resignation where he says in perfect civil service-speak, laden with buzzwords:

I am eager to work with the Health Services Consultative Committee as they move on to the collection and delivery of vital service user feedback, championing the views of users across health and social care and helping drive transformation of services. They will be pivotal in ensuring that service users have a route for their experiences and suggestions to be heard, as well as providing a pro-active forum for seeking out service level improvements in a way that will help us to bring about meaningful improvements.

which is all very well, except that the Committee's job is actually monitoring what DHSC get up to, not Manx Care.  Something that Hooper seems less keen on.  And you'd hope that 'service users' already have a 'route' for their 'experiences and suggestions' and that DHSC should already be providing it (and so should MHKs).

In the same Gef piece Baker gets another kick in:

Mrs Baker has also clarified some of the issues around the meetings referenced in her resignation letter and why she was not personally at the meeting.

She said that as an original meeting date was scheduled for when she was due to visit her family, Mr Hooper and DHSC member Tanya August-Hanson MLC had ‘expressed irritation that I was not there on June 26, then demanded a follow up meeting with me that never materialised because I was able to provide them with evidence that I had fact checked my report with department officers and an officer from the attorney general’s chambers’.

Mrs Baker added: ‘My holiday in America was interrupted by distressing reports of the meeting, it was clear from my colleagues that LH and TAH had behaved completely inappropriately. I was told that both LH and TAH had taken issue with my work in particular, and this worried me greatly at the time and subsequently. I have never had the opportunity to meet either of them to share the evidence base for my report.

‘LH has continued to disparage us all on Twitter, on Manx Radio in GEF and in the House of Keys. He has repeatedly called into question our competence and professionalism. The fact that I was not at June 26 meeting is irrelevant, I have spoken to colleagues and read statements that make it very clear what happened at that meeting, for which none of us have received any apology.’

[my bold]  As I've said before these people are professionals who know about providing proof and keeping their own records.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile Hooper has released his response to Bakers resignation where he says in perfect civil service-speak, laden with buzzwords:

I am eager to work with the Health Services Consultative Committee as they move on to the collection and delivery of vital service user feedback, championing the views of users across health and social care and helping drive transformation of services. They will be pivotal in ensuring that service users have a route for their experiences and suggestions to be heard, as well as providing a pro-active forum for seeking out service level improvements in a way that will help us to bring about meaningful improvements.

which is all very well, except that the Committee's job is actually monitoring what DHSC get up to, not Manx Care.  Something that Hooper seems less keen on.  And you'd hope that 'service users' already have a 'route' for their 'experiences and suggestions' and that DHSC should already be providing it (and so should MHKs).

In the same Gef piece Baker gets another kick in:

Mrs Baker has also clarified some of the issues around the meetings referenced in her resignation letter and why she was not personally at the meeting.

She said that as an original meeting date was scheduled for when she was due to visit her family, Mr Hooper and DHSC member Tanya August-Hanson MLC had ‘expressed irritation that I was not there on June 26, then demanded a follow up meeting with me that never materialised because I was able to provide them with evidence that I had fact checked my report with department officers and an officer from the attorney general’s chambers’.

Mrs Baker added: ‘My holiday in America was interrupted by distressing reports of the meeting, it was clear from my colleagues that LH and TAH had behaved completely inappropriately. I was told that both LH and TAH had taken issue with my work in particular, and this worried me greatly at the time and subsequently. I have never had the opportunity to meet either of them to share the evidence base for my report.

‘LH has continued to disparage us all on Twitter, on Manx Radio in GEF and in the House of Keys. He has repeatedly called into question our competence and professionalism. The fact that I was not at June 26 meeting is irrelevant, I have spoken to colleagues and read statements that make it very clear what happened at that meeting, for which none of us have received any apology.’

[my bold]  As I've said before these people are professionals who know about providing proof and keeping their own records.  

But Tanya was awarded the 'New Parliamentarian of the Year award'. She's just so fabulously amazing.

Fat of the land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

But Tanya was awarded the 'New Parliamentarian of the Year award'. She's just so fabulously amazing.

Fat of the land.

I don’t know whether she is a nice person or not, never mind being a nice Parliamentarian. Judging from @Roger Mexico previous post, it is quite clear that both Minister Hooperman and Tanya August September aren’t fans of Annette Baker, and I doubt she is a fan of them (and who can blame her!). Genuinely nice human beings don’t bicker, backstabbing or grandstand. They work together for the greater good. Thats just one reason as to why health and social care is diabolical, and has a myriad of issues. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know whether she is a nice person or not, never mind being a nice Parliamentarian. Judging from @Roger Mexico previous post, it is quite clear that both Minister Hooperman and Tanya August September aren’t fans of Annette Baker, and I doubt she is a fan of them (and who can blame her!). Genuinely nice human beings don’t bicker, backstabbing or grandstand. They work together for the greater good. Thats just one reason as to why health and social care is diabolical, and has a myriad of issues. 

But it takes two sides to cooperate and Hooper, August-Hanson and the civil servants (who are presumably the ones behind this as they are the ones whose work is being assessed by the HSCC) seem to be demanding there should be no criticism of them and no suggestions for improvement.  They're just claiming that the Committee is wrong without actually saying where or how.  No point-by-point rebuttal is being offered, just an attempt to change the Committee's terms so they can't point to what needs improving in DHSC's performance.

It's worth pointing out that it's not just Baker who seems to be complaining, it looks like the whole Committee.  As she says in her second statement Baker couldn't even be at the June meeting when Hooper and August-Hanson had their hissy fits.  But the other members are not able to state their case publicly while they are still members of HSCC - unlike the politicians who are happy to slag them off in return.  Baker is only able to speak her mind because she has just resigned.

• Like 1

Was her pension as a head teacher not enough for her second bite of the cherry.  She moaned when lockdown was on about not seeing her relatives seems not to like to abide by rules.    She certainly was not that popular in Ramsey when she was at Ramsey Grammar.  Certainly someone who values her own opinion too much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Was her pension as a head teacher not enough for her second bite of the cherry.  She moaned when lockdown was on about not seeing her relatives seems not to like to abide by rules.    She certainly was not that popular in Ramsey when she was at Ramsey Grammar.  Certainly someone who values her own opinion too much.

I have worked with Mrs Baker, and always found her to be sincere and caring.

(As a Ramsey resident, I have not heard that she was an unpopular Head of RGS - just the opposite!)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

You keep trying to push this narrative, playing the man, not the ball. It's not convincing and one questions your motives. Are you an apologist for Hooper, a misogynist, or another sad thicko like Banker with a grudge against teachers?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know whether she is a nice person or not

In my dealings with her she is a self important pouting snorting mess of a person always 2 answers she doesn’t like away from blowing her top - prone to playing the self important card - a simple transaction requiring ID sent her into meltdown quoting GDPR regulations - a reminder of it’s a breach of FSA regulations not to provide as a PEP failed to appease the perma angry pouty one.

On a par with Seagull Benny from South and Little Bobby Onchan as a political representative 

Unemployable elsewhere 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Was her pension as a head teacher not enough for her second bite of the cherry. 

I don't think HSCC members get paid that much.  I've a feeling it's like local authority members and the like, expenses based on so much per meeting attended.   It probably is only about a few thousand a year.   It's not like the NEDs in the  arms-length Boards who get quite a bit more.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

In my dealings with her she is a self important pouting snorting mess of a person always 2 answers she doesn’t like away from blowing her top - prone to playing the self important card - a simple transaction requiring ID sent her into meltdown quoting GDPR regulations - a reminder of it’s a breach of FSA regulations not to provide as a PEP failed to appease the perma angry pouty one.

On a par with Seagull Benny from South and Little Bobby Onchan as a political representative 

Unemployable elsewhere 

Sounds like a fair assessment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Lamb said:

You keep trying to push this narrative, playing the man, not the ball. It's not convincing and one questions your motives. Are you an apologist for Hooper, a misogynist, or another sad thicko like Banker with a grudge against teachers?

Maybe he, she or it is a LibLabVan party stooge, one of the 6 who attends important public meetings. All the media reports on this saga, really paints a poor picture of Minister Hooperman, coupled with his natural arrogance (belief that he is always right) when interviewed, his overall sense of entitlement just adds to a very negative and charmless portrait of Ramseys’ MHK. Instead of focusing on Health and Social Care, he obsesses about the Bishop and navel gazing. So in the meantime he has stoked division within the HSCC, has had aspersions cast against him as to his abilities and had a complaint lodged against him.