An ‘Uncomfortable and Distressing’ Environment HSCC.

Holte End

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile Hooper has released his response to Bakers resignation where he says in perfect civil service-speak, laden with buzzwords:

I am eager to work with the Health Services Consultative Committee as they move on to the collection and delivery of vital service user feedback, championing the views of users across health and social care and helping drive transformation of services. They will be pivotal in ensuring that service users have a route for their experiences and suggestions to be heard, as well as providing a pro-active forum for seeking out service level improvements in a way that will help us to bring about meaningful improvements.

which is all very well, except that the Committee's job is actually monitoring what DHSC get up to, not Manx Care.  Something that Hooper seems less keen on.  And you'd hope that 'service users' already have a 'route' for their 'experiences and suggestions' and that DHSC should already be providing it (and so should MHKs).

In the same Gef piece Baker gets another kick in:

Mrs Baker has also clarified some of the issues around the meetings referenced in her resignation letter and why she was not personally at the meeting.

She said that as an original meeting date was scheduled for when she was due to visit her family, Mr Hooper and DHSC member Tanya August-Hanson MLC had ‘expressed irritation that I was not there on June 26, then demanded a follow up meeting with me that never materialised because I was able to provide them with evidence that I had fact checked my report with department officers and an officer from the attorney general’s chambers’.

Mrs Baker added: ‘My holiday in America was interrupted by distressing reports of the meeting, it was clear from my colleagues that LH and TAH had behaved completely inappropriately. I was told that both LH and TAH had taken issue with my work in particular, and this worried me greatly at the time and subsequently. I have never had the opportunity to meet either of them to share the evidence base for my report.

‘LH has continued to disparage us all on Twitter, on Manx Radio in GEF and in the House of Keys. He has repeatedly called into question our competence and professionalism. The fact that I was not at June 26 meeting is irrelevant, I have spoken to colleagues and read statements that make it very clear what happened at that meeting, for which none of us have received any apology.’

[my bold]  As I've said before these people are professionals who know about providing proof and keeping their own records.  

Mr Hooper says it 'wouldn’t be appropriate to comment' as vice-chair resigns.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/health-minister-i-am-eager-to-work-with-the-hscc/

And then proceeds to make quite a lot of comment. Puffed up little Amish man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

well this isn't going to do Hoopers chances of being re elected any good , I think Mrs Bakers  standing and reputation in the northern community  is much more credible  than Hoopers ,  sadly he has become arrogant ,and will not listen , 

wrong, he's always been an arrogant charmless twat

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

The above views re Hanson, Hooper and Baker make it very hard for us who do know the character of these people to make an informed decision???

Unless they all stand at the next election, Hooper is your only option - the other two are an MLC and an ex volunteer committee member.   QED.

Edited by Jarndyce

21 hours ago, Holte End said:

It was clear in the report https://www.tynwald.org.im/spfile?file=/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2023-PP-0032.pdf

Also manx radio report on it https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-health-minister-told-to-apologise-to-tynwald/

Rob Callister  just needed to keep his mouth shut and let it go away, but left Mr Cannan with no choice but to open an investigation after his outburst in Tynwald. It is a lot like when he voted against his own motion. 

But Hooper is clearly no different in his approach to people. 

I seem to remember that there was some misunderstanding between Callister, Hooper, and civil servants as to who was responsible for signing-off the letter which authorised the Appeal against the Court’s ruling in the Dr Ranson’s case.

August-Hanson, who lodged a formal complaint against Callister’s behaviour, is now herself the subject of an investigation for allegedly shouting at members of the Health Services Consultative Committee. How ironic!

Meanwhile, ordinary residents continue to be disappointed with Manx Care. But perhaps, IOM politicians are too healthy and wealthy to use local health services and therefore they don’t emphasise with, and/ or share, voters’ frustrations with the current level of services?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

HSCC is supposed to scrutinise the work of the department not collect information from 'service-users'. That is done through other mechanisms such as MCALS.

https://www.gov.im/media/1380144/hscc-terms-of-reference-july-2023.pdf

I can read this 'hscc terms of reference' document, and numerous other documents, but these documents do not change the fact that DHSC and Manx Care in its current form is an expensive experiment with public health services, and the experiment is not working out well for ordinary residents. In the UK their political leadership are held to account (one of many reasons why its bye-bye Tories, hopefully)  - who do we hold to account?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, code99 said:

I can read this 'hscc terms of reference' document, and numerous other documents, but these documents do not change the fact that DHSC and Manx Care in its current form is an expensive experiment with public health services, and the experiment is not working out well for ordinary residents. In the UK their political leadership are held to account (one of many reasons why its bye-bye Tories, hopefully)  - who do we hold to account?  

“Bye bye Tories”  Be careful what you wish for.

7 hours ago, code99 said:

I seem to remember that there was some misunderstanding between Callister, Hooper, and civil servants as to who was responsible for signing-off the letter which authorised the Appeal against the Court’s ruling in the Dr Ranson’s case.

August-Hanson, who lodged a formal complaint against Callister’s behaviour, is now herself the subject of an investigation for allegedly shouting at members of the Health Services Consultative Committee. How ironic!

Meanwhile, ordinary residents continue to be disappointed with Manx Care. But perhaps, IOM politicians are too healthy and wealthy to use local health services and therefore they don’t emphasise with, and/ or share, voters’ frustrations with the current level of services?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/health-minister-denies-misleading-tynwald-over-callister-comments/   "Mr Hooper discussed Mr Callister's involvement in government's handling of the Dr Rosalind Ranson tribunal at May's sitting, resulting in Mr Callister accusing the minister of 'throwing him under the bus', and has since posted on social media to say he's asked for a formal apology from Mr Hooper."  I don't believe Mr Hooper ever had to apologise, so I don't think there was a misunderstanding.   

3 hours ago, Holte End said:

I don't believe Mr Hooper ever had to apologise, so I don't think there was a misunderstanding.   

Yes if a Minister hasn't apologised for something that must mean he was in the right.  What else could the explanation be?

Actually I don't think that people realise just how deadly this HSCC business has been for Hooper, not just in terms of public opinion (I'm amazed by how much anti-Hooper feeling I come across, though not just health-related) but inside Tynwald itself.  At the November Tynwald, Chris Thomas put forward a motion that would put the HSCC back to how it was before Hooper unilaterally brought in his changes:

19. National Health Service Act 2001

That the Health Services Consultative Committee Constitution (Amendment) Regulations 2023 [SD 2023/0277] be annulled.                 Mr Thomas

There's still no Hansard, but we do know how people voted:

In the Keys – Ayes 13, Noes 9
For: Mr Ashford, Mrs Caine, Mr Callister, Mrs Christian, Mrs Corlett, Mr Glover, Mrs Maltby, Mr Moorhouse, Mr Peters, Mr Smith, Mr Speaker, Mr Thomas, Mr Wannenburgh

Against: Dr Allinson, Mrs Barber, Mr Crookall, Ms Faragher, Dr Haywood, Mr Hooper, Mr Johnston, Ms Lord-Brennan, Mrs Poole-Wilson

In the Council – Ayes 1, Noes 6
For: Mrs Kinnish
Against: Miss August-Hanson, Mr Craine, Mr Henderson, Mrs Kelsey, Mr Mercer, Mrs Sharpe

(Cannan and Greenhill had leave of absence for the Wednesday.  Edge seems to have gone into hiding).

So the motion was only lost 14-15.  If it was passed Hooper would probably have had to resign, certainly his authority would be gone.  The only MHKs who voted in favour were his CoMin colleagues and the two DHSC members, everyone who could vote for Thomas's motion without losing their job did so.  Without the backing of the unelected MLCs (I suspect bullied into it by August-Hanson) Hooper would have lost badly.  You can see why he might be less keen on LegCo reform apart from the Bishop.

• Like 2