Free tv Licence for over 75

forestboy

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t think I know anybody who never  watches television. 

I don't watch live television. There might be the occasional show every so often that I will catch up online, but I literally never watch live TV. For the most part I find 99.9% of the shows boring and the internet far more entertaining.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chie said:

I don't watch live television. There might be the occasional show every so often that I will catch up online, but I literally never watch live TV. For the most part I find 99.9% of the shows boring and the internet far more entertaining.

That’s because you’re anti establishment etc etc and think tv is all state propaganda!

Some of us paid into the system for years, in advance, having deductions made that we could not then afford.

We get scant thanks for that now, from people who suggest that if we have managed to make enough in our working lives to be able to have a reasonable lifestyle now, we should expect to pay for everything twice - a double whammy if ever I saw one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

That’s because you’re anti establishment etc etc and think tv is all state propaganda!

I think you'll find that most of it is shit! That's why a lot of people don't watch 'live' TV.

For us the only 'live' TV we watch is the news. The rest of the time we choose what we want to watch (or rather She chooses what She wants to watch.... I get up and do something else instead!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Some of us paid into the system for years, in advance, having deductions made that we could not then afford.

We get scant thanks for that now, from people who suggest that if we have managed to make enough in our working lives to be able to have a reasonable lifestyle now, we should expect to pay for everything twice - a double whammy if ever I saw one.

Erm, you are not paying twices its an annual fee, that you are not paying, whilst those who rarely use the service pay to make dull programmes for you to dose off to.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I’ve never stepped foot in my local church, nor intend to. Yet, I still pay £x per annum in my rates for it’s upkeep. 

No you don't.  You pay for upkeep of the graveyard.  Which you may also never intend to set foot (or any other bit of your anatomy) in.  But which is maintained for the general benefit of the public.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No you don't.  You pay for upkeep of the graveyard.  Which you may also never intend to set foot (or any other bit of your anatomy) in.  But which is maintained for the general benefit of the public.

I sit corrected. Anyway, I intend to be cremated and go out with adding what I can to my carbon footprint. 

• Haha 1

Why did the Oh so generous BBC give over 75s a free license. Altruism? Charity?

The BBC changed it's face very much in the latter 10-20 years of the 20th Century. Using the word 'fuck' would have you banned from the airwaves and cancelled instantly, before cancelled was even invented. For those of us who remember her, think Mary Whitehouse, maybe watered down a bit, and distributed throughout middle Britain and beyond. As well as the 'public decency' thing, add some subversive politics too.

The vast number of complaints received by good ol' Auntie would have been from those with time enough and a typewriter to do so. A pain in the arse to deal with, time consuming and costly, and getting in the way of the BBC agenda, whatever that might be,

Give 'em all a free license, they're not contributing to the cause, and they will, by definition be dead soon enough anyway, certainly beyond able to make a complaint, especially if they were on a freebie. 

A cynical and smug move by the BBC (and Government).

It worked.

BBC freed itself of much of the criticism of its endeavours, and continued with its quest in relative peace. That is why the BBC was/is largely shit.

Edited by Barlow

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

And that's gone up too because of the price of gas.

Soylent Green is the way to go.

Living on an Island, limited resources and all that. Save the world from this fucking carbon.