Free tv Licence for over 75

forestboy

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

Only one reason. The government told them to.

You're more than likely right of course, irrespective of how much control of the supposedly independent BBC the Government actually has, but there was probably quite a few votes in it.

Still, the BBC would see there were advantages of getting those troublesome middle class pensioners off its back.

Quick straw poll at work today.

4 people (all over 50)  regularly watch live TV out of 12 asked, that goes up to 6 if you include sport.

9 have a TV license, although 3 admitted they probably don’t need one.

It’s a way of collecting revenue that is on its way out so they had better come up with an alternative way of funding the BBC soon.

As a result of this thread and being made to think about it, I am cancelling mine.

35 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Quick straw poll at work today.

4 people (all over 50)  regularly watch live TV out of 12 asked, that goes up to 6 if you include sport.

9 have a TV license, although 3 admitted they probably don’t need one.

It’s a way of collecting revenue that is on its way out so they had better come up with an alternative way of funding the BBC soon.

As a result of this thread and being made to think about it, I am cancelling mine.

But you will still watch live TV in a pub for sport eh

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Why did the Oh so generous BBC give over 75s a free license. Altruism? Charity?

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Only one reason. The government told them to.

Government funded free licences through the Social Security system for years. 

Then, as part of government cost cutting, in the last but one TV licence fee and charter negotiations, they reduced the license fee from what it would have been if inflation linked, shifted funding for World Service from Foreign Office to the licence fee payer, and told BBC that free licences had to be funded out of the income from other licence fee payers..

BBC is incredible value for money, still, and in spite of all the allegations its news and current affairs, music and culture output and wildlife and history programmes are better than anything broadcast by any other broadcaster, state or private, anywhere in the world.

I don’t get the objection to paying, but a willingness to pay for the dross on most subscription services.

But that’s meant savage cuts in many services.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the reluctance to pay while happily shelling out much more for subscription services either, but it's probably to do with compulsion. Don't like being told, do we? Such outfits as Sky have simply priced premium sports out of the reach of many, and the events now draw minimal TV audiences as a result.

I don't think the licence principle of funding is a bad one, although I can see it becoming more and more anachronistic in the digital streaming age. I pay it reasonably cheerfully, but at the same time, I do think there is too much waste and bureaucracy in the BBC, and a shocking liberal editorial slant. Some of the output is undeniably first rate, but so is some commercially produced material too, for example the current excellent ITV drama about the sub-postmasters scandal.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Netflix, Disney, Apple TV, Amazon prime and paramount must cost us about five time the Tv license but are all optional. and we actually watch their content. (Including some BbC stuff, they they presumably pay the BBC for)

I don’t want to continue paying the BBC separately and for something we don’t use.