5G - why is it taking so long for the island to get 5G?

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

Because it would make the current fibre rollout obsolete?

EXACTLY! 

It is just that 95% of people don’t realise how fast 4G can be, and how slow 802 wi-fi can be. 

They just think faster is better. 

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Fair enough, I guess you have to be right the odd time. 

Not really what the OP had in mind though eh?

No, but I said that in my responses before you started taking the piss.  I was very clear it want for personal handsets.

Fair play for admitting you were wrong though.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Does anyone have an update re a 5G rollout? What is the delay?

For huge numbers of people across the UK and mainland Europe 5G now provides a perfectly acceptable alternative to the need for a fibre connection.

If you look back to al the hoo hah a couple years ago, it's probably a mix of things. Paranoia tinfoil hat brigade kicking up a storm thinking 5G is going to microwave their one shared braincell. MT probably aren't in a rush as people like me would absolutely stick with the unlimited mobile data contract and tether rather than have home internet installed. And finally, it's probably a lack of available workers. They are already in the middle of a 55 year upgrade to fibre, adding 5G on top of that is probably more work than they can handle right now. I fully expect the UK to be on 6G before we get even a sniff of 5G, we might even skip 5G entirely at this rate and just get 6G.

The Isle of Man was the first place [Jeremy Clarkson voice] in the World to roll out 3G dontchaknow. We nearly got to do the film The Kings Speech too.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Does anyone have an update re a 5G rollout? What is the delay?

For huge numbers of people across the UK and mainland Europe 5G now provides a perfectly acceptable alternative to the need for a fibre connection.

Large parts of rural UK don't have 5G as there's no real need for the bandwidth. I'll not see 5G for quite a few years.

12 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I asked MT this question in 2020. The response was that they have no plans to move forward with 5G until the rollout of fibre was completed.

By which time the rest of the world will probably be on to 6G!

Same response here when I asked. Meanwhile, even developing countries have it already. My Manila sim is 5G. 20 quid a month for loads of mega fast data. 

Well, don't know about 5G but I haven't been able to use e mails on my lap top for over a month. When I try, a message appears saying there is an ongoing problem which will shortly be fixed.

When contacted, Manx Telecom informed me that there was a glitch that they had been trying to fix but they were finding it difficult to figure out!

What hope for 5G?

Strangely, I can get e mail on my phone

• Like 1