5G - why is it taking so long for the island to get 5G?

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Because it’s shit, telecom don’t want to provide and there are already hundreds of better services out there.

If people keep insisting on using g it rather than the other better options that are out there, then we all pay more on our bills to subsidise a crappy service that most people don’t want.

It’s a hark back to the days when people had emails provided by their ISP.  Those days ended 15 years or more ago and most ISPs sacked them off, but because people here are backward MT would face a backlash from idiots if they just announced they were killing the service.

Wrong answer. We deserve our own identity.  I think you are what many of us manxies would describe as a 'Manx Knob'.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Because like so many other things, they've been brainwashed into thinking it, for decades in some cases.

It's all part of the proud, independent nation bit. It's why we needed our own power station, why we need our own oversized government, why we need our own coins and notes, our own stamps. It's why we have to buy a lump of Mersey riverbank.

It doesn't matter how shit, grossly over-expensive or even unnecessary it is, as long as it's "Manx". And a part of local society and establishment relies on it to do very well out of it.

Good work.  I completely agree. Now get to the mountain thread.

• Confused 1

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Wrong answer. We deserve our own identity.  I think you are what many of us manxies would describe as a 'Manx Knob'.

But why?

Is it “just because”

Its a shit email system, and as I have said multiple times it is much better to use a .im address which is actually internationally recognised 

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Good work.  I completely agree. Now get to the mountain thread.

What have I said on the mountain thread? 🤔

Lots of government funded private 5G networks in the UK. Asset management, smart home monitoring for publicly owned property type systems rather than a replacement for consumer mobile data.

There are also a lot of mixed solutions (Satellite backhaul to Fixed wireless access to 4G) rather than 5G due to performance over distance, 4G/LTE still has a long lifecycle. 2/3G will be binned at some point.

So little data use on the island it’s difficult to understand what the need for 5G is. Those thinking it’s a rival for Fibre, so is 4G. If you can’t get great speeds on 4G you are never going to get great speeds over 5G.

The difference is the ping, although there will be huge fluctuations in performance based on variables like subs on a particular cell, building materials etc for indoor use.

There are a couple of 5G cells live but not flagged as 5G (LTE). There’s no noticeable difference on a mobile data device. 

Roaming in parts of the UK where you can actually get a signal isn’t much different on a mobile device than 4G or free WiFi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

So little data use on the island it’s difficult to understand what the need for 5G is. Those thinking it’s a rival for Fibre, so is 4G. If you can’t get great speeds on 4G you are never going to get great speeds over 5G.

The 4G network often seems inadequate and sometime unusable - even in parts of downtown Douglas. Too few cells for the number of users perhaps.

5G installations typically involve a much greater density of small cells - the every lamppost model. So yes - I believe that we would expect 5G to offer significant advantages over 4G. On some of the older estates this would potentially offer a significant consumer advantage vs asking households to fund the relatively expensive installation of conduits for fibre - as the copper network is turned off.

16 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The 4G network often seems inadequate and sometime unusable - even in parts of downtown Douglas. Too few cells for the number of users perhaps.

5G installations typically involve a much greater density of small cells - the every lamppost model. So yes - I believe that we would expect 5G to offer significant advantages over 4G. On some of the older estates this would potentially offer a significant consumer advantage vs asking households to fund the relatively expensive installation of conduits for fibre - as the copper network is turned off.

“Every lamppost model” ? For 5g?

You sure you aren’t confusing with LoRa?

5g has more transmitters but nowhere near every lamppost.

1 hour ago, genericUserName said:

Fixed wireless access and Star-link/BT Satellite would give a much better experience over a mobile solution where Fibre isn’t an option for the consumer. 

4G can struggle with indoor penetration, 5G much more so.

Only the prom is geared up for the type of lampposts layout needed for offering anything meaningful which could also improve the current 4G and future 5G networks. I think planning is the inhibitor around that part of douglas. 

Local authorities are not going to invest in a massive overhaul of their estate to support mobile data and due to changes in planning, it’s unlikely that we will see many new mobile cell sites up anytime soon.

If 5G genuinely was the challenge to Fibre, Sure would have rolled theirs out to places like Lakeside and Birchhill along time ago in direct competition to MT’s Fibre programme where there’s no duct on the consumer side. 

On 1/6/2024 at 9:18 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

He's right about manx.net email addresses, it is definitely appears less professional than a dedicated domain name. Also, I would suggest that a *.im domain is inherently more 'Manx' than a manx.net email address.

After the IP Address debacle, I think we all know that you're not the most clued up when it comes to tech/internet stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reptar said:

He's right about manx.net email addresses, it is definitely appears less professional than a dedicated domain name. Also, I would suggest that a *.im domain is inherently more 'Manx' than a manx.net email address.

But the real question is about legacy addresses.  It's all very well saying what would be a good idea now, but businesses and individuals will have long-standing usage of a manx.net email and moving to a new one will cause all sorts of problems.  Even if you do you will need to maintain the older one for a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the real question is about legacy addresses.  It's all very well saying what would be a good idea now, but businesses and individuals will have long-standing usage of a manx.net email and moving to a new one will cause all sorts of problems.  Even if you do you will need to maintain the older one for a very long time.

It doesn't cause any issues at all and isn't remotely difficult.  I have done it for loads of friends, family and clients.

Its a doddle, and makes their email usage better and easier, even if its just moving to a free gmail account.

16 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It doesn't cause any issues at all and isn't remotely difficult.  I have done it for loads of friends, family and clients.

Its a doddle, and makes their email usage better and easier, even if its just moving to a free gmail account.

Another option is to host your email with Microsoft or Google. Costs a few quid a month, very reliable, excellent anti-spam. Running one's own mail server is not difficult if you have many company email addresses, but I have just one.