Vehicle Licence

forestboy

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Tax the electric? 

We’re meant to be incentivising EV usage, this could be one way of doing so. And then when everyone has one, put the price of the leccy up. 

While they can possibly put a tax in thise with an Ev tariff you can charge most EV's with a standard 3 pin socket . So will be impossible to target EV users.  

I don't think its fair on ICE road users if they end up having to share the cost of this..

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

Crime of the century?

Not quite - but bloody inconsiderate and shows a complete lack of awareness that's probably a fir reflection on how they conduct their lives in general.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Tax the electric? 

We’re meant to be incentivising EV usage, this could be one way of doing so. And then when everyone has one, put the price of the leccy up. 

Really we should be incentivising reduced car usage whether that is EV or ICE, EV is not a long term solution, and in the Isle of Man right now you are not using green energy to charge, so I see little point. What we should be doing is capping engine size / emissions  on any new or imported ICE immediatley,  enforcing speed limits with GPS tracking  and surcharges for single occupancy car use which in turn will encourage use of public transport, car sharing and active travel. 

If / when  the EU handover the 300 billion of Russian foreign reserves to rebuild Ukraine and the Arabs commit to funding the rebuild of Palestine, OPEC+ will be putting oil and Gas prices up to record levels.  Personally I won't buy an EV until I know that it is only powered by renewables, but would rather see renewables used to provide home heating than try and maintain current car usage. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

enforcing speed limits with GPS tracking  and surcharges for single occupancy car use which in turn will encourage use of public transport, car sharing 

Depressingly the end of use of vehicles for fun is within sight. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Really we should be incentivising reduced car usage whether that is EV or ICE, EV is not a long term solution, and in the Isle of Man right now you are not using green energy to charge, so I see little point. What we should be doing is capping engine size / emissions  on any new or imported ICE immediatley,  enforcing speed limits with GPS tracking  and surcharges for single occupancy car use which in turn will encourage use of public transport, car sharing and active travel. 

Perhaps you would find Sadiq Khan's London more to your liking than the IoM? A giant technology-based surveilance system must be your wet dream. You could even have a well-respected company like Fujitsu run it.

Hopefully any IoM politician advocating such solutions will rue doing so for every single subsequent day of their lives.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

and surcharges for single occupancy car use which in turn will encourage use of public transport, car sharing and active travel. 

That’s you stuffed then.

Like anyone would want to be  to be in a car with you for any length of time listening to you blabbering on about your old people theories!

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Perhaps you would find Sadiq Khan's London more to your liking than the IoM? A giant technology-based surveilance system must be your wet dream. You could even have a well-respected company like Fujitsu run it.

Hopefully any IoM politician advocating such solutions will rue doing so for every single subsequent day of their lives.

He is doing his best for the world, well done him. Though the Isle of man is a different kettle of fish, some really shit driving over here and too many old codgers on the roads. Though it is well easy to ride an bike to work from most places people live, of course if you choose to live in Ramsey and work in Douglas then #getabus

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Another issue will be that Ev's will then have 0 tax .. one of my cars is an  EV and I  feel its not fair on other road users 

All motor  vehicles on the road should pay their fair share 

The UK is bumping  up minimum  VED to £180 for all cars ( EV or ICE ) from 2025 .

I think we will have similar here soon 

I am sure that the current lowest band will have at least a  50% increase soon to close to or above £100 . 

Let's not lose sight of not only is it a question of the size of the increases;

Let's ask, "Where is this revenue going and what is it being used for?"

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Techincal solutions will be driven by insurance companies, it is common in UK for high risk drivers to get GPS tracked policy, you even get a little app that gives you a score for your driving and it takes points off if you speed, if you drop below a certain number of points then you have to pay a higher premium. Makes senses doesn't it.

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Why can't they just stick the tax on fuel? Then there's no avoiding it, and the cars that give out the most emissions pay more (simple chemistry - petrol in equals CO2 out).  Or would this just make things too simple and put a whole cadre of vehicle duty collectors out of work, and their supervisors, and their managers, and their directors, and their CEO ? (Am I getting this whole 'down with the CS' thing right?)

I've been suggesting that for years but the gov. just tell me that they can't do it because of the tax regime we share with UK.

I presume they mean fuel tax and VAT?

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 1