Vehicle Licence

forestboy

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Should tax on vehicle size, encourage people to buy smaller cars. Micra, ka, mini, one of those tiny diahatsus, £20 a year. Range Rover? £2000.

They want to increase revenue take and do this by knowing that most people can't or won't have this option though.

It's just legal theft. 

• Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Should tax on vehicle size, encourage people to buy smaller cars. Micra, ka, mini, one of those tiny diahatsus, £20 a year. Range Rover? £2000.

How does that work when something like a new Skoda Octavia comes with a three cylinder 1 litre petrol engine yet is really quite a big car?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

Why should they pay at all? As long as they’re not abandoned in public places, and there are better ways of dealing with that than charging for a license, which doesn’t seem to work in that regard anyway. 

They are in public places. The £260-£300 per year they have to pay is the only thing that puts these anti social tosspots not having more of the damned things on our residential streets

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

And also illegal to use on public highways or pavements. If you get to Liverpool you will see your great fun littering the city like single use vapes.

Still fun though, and they get picked up at the end of the day unlike the vapes.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

big but economical

So, not encouraging people to buy smaller cars at all, which is what was stated.

Is it actually economical?  I haven't driven a car that big with an engine that small but would imagine its impossible to get anywhere near the stated MPG as you must be constantly revving the nuts off it.  The same engine in a Polo is superb, but I wouldn't want on in an Octavia.  It sounds like the perfect example of trying to be economical and saving on MPG and emissions on paper, and achieving the opposite in the real world

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They are in public places. The £260-£300 per year they have to pay is the only thing that puts these anti social tosspots not having more of the damned things on our residential streets

Like the taxi driver who didn’t tax his many vehicles for years!,

53 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

So, not encouraging people to buy smaller cars at all, which is what was stated.

Is it actually economical?  I haven't driven a car that big with an engine that small but would imagine its impossible to get anywhere near the stated MPG as you must be constantly revving the nuts off it.  The same engine in a Polo is superb, but I wouldn't want on in an Octavia.  It sounds like the perfect example of trying to be economical and saving on MPG and emissions on paper, and achieving the opposite in the real world

If you want to know the effects of trying to use modern small capacity, highly stressed engines, look up the Ford Eco-boost 1.0L.

The characteristics and longevity of a handgrenade and nobody ever seems to question the green ethics of the power and resources used in the manufacture of a unit with such a short lifespan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you want to know the effects of trying to use modern small capacity, highly stressed engines, look up the Ford Eco-boost 1.0L.

The characteristics and longevity of a handgrenade and nobody ever seems to question the green ethics of the power and resources used in the manufacture of a unit with such a short lifespan.

I know.

Like I said, standard bollocks where people make out they are saving the planet without looking at the big picture.

A 1 litre 3 pot engine in a car that weighs 1300kg ffs.

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I've been suggesting that for years but the gov. just tell me that they can't do it because of the tax regime we share with UK.

I presume they mean fuel tax and VAT?

Yes, but it is inaccurate. I.o.M. can apply to have a special VAT rate on individual goods of services, such as the 5% rate on heating oil, and building work and supplies. Perhaps they could request a 25% VAT rate on petrol and diesel? 
Additionally, the VAT on heating oil needs to rise. 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Like the taxi driver who didn’t tax his many vehicles for years!,

they also want to look at the numbers of vehicles per household ,there are people living in my neighbourhood who ave 5 or 6 vehicles registered in the same domestic dwelling , never mind those running a car sales business from home , 

Douglas and Onchan are awash with cars at present , choking up the streets ,and many don't turn a wheel for months  so are they really necessary ,

Bermuda has the answer  reasonable car tax for the first , then any more after that and then the  price goes up considerably  per vehicle ,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Still fun though, and they get picked up at the end of the day unlike the vapes.

There is legislation being drafted up and put through. Once its through and they are legal, I am definitely getting one. Some of them can do 45 miles on a single charge and if I don't need to go out of Douglas it will be perfect.