Tough decisions must be made.

Dirty Buggane

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well then if such discounts were applied to all, then they wouldn’t be discounts. The discounted price would become the “ normal” price.

Anyway lots of places, retail or otherwise offer discounts to their employees on products or services they offer.

I don’t know, I’m guessing but I imagine if you work for Boots you get some sort of staff discount on say, toiletries.

Boots is not supported by the taxpayer. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But this 20 % discount could be considered as  a commercial proposition. And a tactic to increase membership, thus increase membership fees and income. 
Without this discount would sufficient numbers of government employees pay the “full” amount to generate an income equal to that the NSC would get without the discount.

So rather than “ no doubt” contributing to that loss, the discount plan may operate to reduce that loss.

Yes you can shout “unfair” but has already been pointed out in this thread, it’s not uncommon for gyms etc to offer reduced membership prices to corporate entities or for other enterprises to offer discounts to employees of private companies  of a sufficient size. They don’t do it out of the goodness of their hearts but to try and increase revenue. A worthy aim for the Government, I would suggest.

And where do their salaries, memberships, discounts and the facility itself all come from? Yes, the private taxpayer and/or private taxpaying business.

Recycling taxpayers money through there in the name of government worker's perks will not reduce the losses or the overall financial situation. It is nothing more than indicative of public sector excess and entitlement at a time when the taxpayer is being harder squeezed than ever.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Boots is not supported by the taxpayer. 

No it’s not. But a discount for employees on the products and services they offer might be considered as part of a package  to attract employees, so why not in the public sector?
I anticipate, as I write this the level of scorn that it is going to attract from those who think Government employees are all rubbish. 
But if that can be put aside for one minute, what is wrong with the Government offering an incentive for its workforce to be healthier, by subsidising  the NSC facilities like many private companies do with private gyms? At least the subsidised membership fees stay “ in house” as it were.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No it’s not. But a discount for employees on the products and services they offer might be considered as part of a package  to attract employees, so why not in the public sector?
I anticipate, as I write this the level of scorn that it is going to attract from those who think Government employees are all rubbish. 
But if that can be put aside for one minute, what is wrong with the Government offering an incentive for its workforce to be healthier, by subsidising  the NSC facilities like many private companies do with private gyms? At least the subsidised membership fees stay “ in house” as it were.

Cheap jollies on the trams and trains then as well?

4 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

But businesses also get corporate rates at gyms. In my gym I pay 22 quid a month rather than the 40 quid a month rate because someone went to them and agreed a corporate deal. It happens everywhere

That is also known as a 'benefit in kind' which can be taxed depending on the circumstances and amounts. Same as using a company vehicle for private use, 'free' accomodation, gifts, etc. 

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

That is also known as a 'benefit in kind' which can be taxed depending on the circumstances and amounts. Same as using a company vehicle for private use, 'free' accomodation, gifts, etc. 

But not free gov parking!

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

BIK only applies to non government workers.

• Like 1

Just now, finlo said:

You of all people should know!

Well I don’t . I don’t know why you think I should.

Perhaps you could  post some sort of document or evidence that BIK only applies to non government workers, and thereby by implication doesn’t apply to government workers.
As I said I couldn’t find anything like that but happy to be corrected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I don’t . I don’t know why you think I should.

Perhaps you could  post some sort of document or evidence that BIK only applies to non government workers, and thereby by implication doesn’t apply to government workers.
As I said I couldn’t find anything like that but happy to be corrected.

There's no documents but all the perks and MUA/DOI vehicles taken home etc proves it's one rule for us and one rule for them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, finlo said:

There's no documents but all the perks and MUA/DOI vehicles taken home etc proves it's one rule for us and one rule for them.

So no documents, no evidence for your throwaway statement that “ BIK“ only applies to non government  workers then.

” all the perks”. What on earth is that supposed to mean? Probably as vague as your assertion re benefits in kind.

” perks” both in the private and public sector come in all sorts of guises.

“ Vehicles taken home proves it’s one rule for us and one rule for them” This is sheer paranoia. I have worked for private companies where the messenger has taken the company vehicle home at night to enable them to pick up the post en route to the office the next day and other legitimate reasons

Maybe something similar is occurring with Government vehicles here.

Or maybe  the employees are taking the vehicles home to go “drifting” or doing a burn out on Marine Drive once they have had their dinner, before going to MacDonalds in them for their supper.

Bloody ridiculous.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of third para

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Anyway lots of places, retail or otherwise offer discounts to their employees on products or services they offer.

Well yes, but we're not talking about the equivalent of a shop giving a discount to those that work there.  If the NSC was just giving a discount to those who worked at the NSC no one would be shocked or surprised.  But this is alleged to apply to all government workers (though I haven't yet found any evidence in writing).